Hi friends :)

I have got a question and feel super stupid about it. 
Truth is, is that I'm just not good with 'seeing' how something works or goes together until somebody really shows me.

So;
Looking at this photo - why does the card in the back not fall down and slide behind the card in the front...
I first thought it would be separate compartments with a stitched line at the bottom that we can't see, but I've looked closely - we are looking at 1 singular piece of leather that has two slits cut in it and gets stitched onto the back panel. 
Maybe it's lined? If so - how does one do this properly?
How does this work, I want to make this so badly but even something this simple makes me struggle which is quite discouraging :( 

Thanks!

help.png

Mattsbagger, look more closely, it is not separate T pockets,  but a singular piece of leather on the front.  No seams on the edge.  I was going to try one of these and now definitely will as it eliminates the need to worry about stitches lapping over the seams.

Sure, it is stitched at the bottom of the pocket, but in this instance, since there is no T shaped piece to stitch, the maker probably added a thin liner piece to the visible piece and then stitched it to the counterpart piece on the reverse of the wallet.  I am going to mess with this over the weekend and come up with something similar.  If I do, I will post pics.

1 hour ago, Mattsbagger said:

It is stitched across the bottom. Commonly called “T pockets”. 

28444EA9-5ED9-4574-B943-2A27DA1BAE11.jpeg

Hi!
Thanks, but as you can read in my post - I've have looked at this piece properly and can tell you, that this is not the case. I know how T-pockets work, but this isn't applicable here.

Hence the mystery I'm sitting with haha :)

5 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Mattsbagger, look more closely, it is not separate T pockets,  but a singular piece of leather on the front.  No seams on the edge.  I was going to try one of these and now definitely will as it eliminates the need to worry about stitches lapping over the seams.

Sure, it is stitched at the bottom of the pocket, but in this instance, since there is no T shaped piece to stitch, the maker probably added a thin liner piece to the visible piece and then stitched it to the counterpart piece on the reverse of the wallet.  I am going to mess with this over the weekend and come up with something similar.  If I do, I will post pics.

Yes exactly! That's what I love about it, not having to line those things up will save so much hassle and I love the clean look of it. Also doesn't get too thick.

But the questions remains - how on earth... haha! Would love it if you'd be able to share your knowledge on the try-out!

I suspect that is a ribbon pocket.   Check out this link... 

- Bill

I had watched the video at the end of that link, and did it that way. The force is in shear, so it's actually quite strong. The first one took a bit of time, but once you have the measurements and technique down, it goes pretty quickly.

Jeff

3 hours ago, LottyAfrica said:

Hi!
Thanks, but as you can read in my post - I've have looked at this piece properly and can tell you, that this is not the case. I know how T-pockets work, but this isn't applicable here.

Hence the mystery I'm sitting with haha :)

Yes exactly! That's what I love about it, not having to line those things up will save so much hassle and I love the clean look of it. Also doesn't get too thick.

But the questions remains - how on earth... haha! Would love it if you'd be able to share your knowledge on the try-out!

Ah yes as I zoom the pic I see the edges. Sorry.

I'd say that maker is using a ribbon to support the cards too.  I'm still using that technique and it still seems to hold up well.

On 22/01/2019 at 1:45 PM, LottyAfrica said:

Looking at this photo - why does the card in the back not fall down and slide behind the card in the front...

I've recently seen one of these, but for the life of me, I can't recall how it was constructed. I'll see if I can find it again - think it was a marketing handout my daughter brought home, so she may not object too much to dad deconstructing it... ;-) Will post if I find out.

I have a feeling there is another side to this.....as in, the back where there is a second piece of leather sewn to what you see.

The top is open for a bill pocket (hence the bills in the picture) and something sewn in.  Without seeing the opposite side we don't know if there is any more stitching or what may be going on internally.

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone so much for their input :-) Such a great community over here!

I saw it mentioned already, but I found the videos of Makers Leather Supply super helpful in regards to figuring out to how this all works.

I'm considering ordering a template and then clown around with it!