rab135

Feed Dog Tracks on Techsew 2750

(I’m both a new leatherworker and a new sewing machine user so be careful not to underestimate my ignorance of either!)

I purchased a Techsew 2750 before Christmas and have had a lot of fun creating a few handbags and smaller items with thinner leather.

My problem, at this point, is that I want to sew thicker leather - for example, sewing two 1/8” thick pieces of veg-tanned leather - where both sides of the leather will be visible.

When I do, the stitching seems satisfactory on both sides. However, the feed dog leaves fairly aggressive marks on the underside. And the presser foot leaves slight tracking on the upper side.

I assume I can reduce the presser foot marks by reducing the presser foot pressure. But I haven’t figured out a way to reduce the dog feed impressions on the other side. 

Is this possible?  Or do I need to learn to live with it?

Many times one can obtain feed dogs with more/finer teeth and this may help enough for some leathers. Further there has been some discussions on feed dogs with no teeth available for some machines. This would take some homework, and heres a good discussion place. 

I would consider these above first before different fill type methods are used to smooth your present feed dogs. Simply because tommorow you likely will need the benefit of original bite from the dogs. 

If info is not in the present post, a new post is likely the best option. 

Good day

Floyd

Thanks for the response, Floyd. I had expected this would be an issue others have had to deal with frequently and wondered if it was just something I was doing incorrectly. I will check to see if there are other dog options available with less aggressive teeth. Presumably, there is a point where the less aggressive approach would result in less predictable feed rate. Thanks, again, for the quick feedback. 

Have you tried to adjust the height of the feed dog so it's upward travel is lowered, closer to the top of the plate? Sometimes lightly sanding or polishing the teeth of the feed dog may also help with the impressions.

kgg

Definitely sand and polish the feed dog teeth as well as the sides on the top edge of the teeth.  Most feed dogs new have sharp teeth and  top edges around the teeth. I always remove the feed dog, lightly grind, sand and buff the edges to take the sharpness off. I suggest you do the same.

glenn