Treesner

New Tandy Craftool Pro Stitch Master made by Sailrite

3 hours ago, Ardenmare said:

I tried out the demo model at the Essex/Baltimore Tandy a couple of weeks ago. It's a nice machine, it was powerful enough to chew through 2 pieces of 5oz veg tan, although that's probably extreme for it. Really nice speed control. Just wish it could take a bit heavier thread sizes. 

I just checked out the Sailrite web page-the Tandy Stitch Master looks like a beige colored version of the Sailrite Ultrafeed LS1 portable that's been installed into a nice little table with their workhorse servo motor.  I like the smaller Tandy table, but for close to the same price, the Sailrite Fabricator sounds like a better deal with more capability. The site says it will take up to V-138 thread.

Here you can see a Sailrite in action!

So.... I'm looking to buy another machine for holster making so I can make holsters and sheaths at the gun shows. Obviously I don't want to transport my cobra 4 and I'm not into the tippman boss.  Would this machine be good for this application ? Has to sew  up to 3 layers 6-7 veg. 

36 minutes ago, devon22691 said:

So.... I'm looking to buy another machine for holster making so I can make holsters and sheaths at the gun shows. Obviously I don't want to transport my cobra 4 and I'm not into the tippman boss.  Would this machine be good for this application ? Has to sew  up to 3 layers 6-7 veg. 

The Sailrite Ultrafeed machines are good for about 1/4 inch, or 16 ounces of combined leather or vinyl. The maximum thread size is #92 (T90) bonded nylon or bonded polyester, which only has 15 pounds breaking strength. It will not safely sew a holster that can withstand any serious force on the gun. Quarter inch thick pancake holsters need to be sewn with #277 bonded thread (44 pound test per stitch), for security against stress on the stitch lines, which is way beyond the capacity of a Sailrite. You will need to look at harness and holster machines that are built to handle such heavy thread and the huge needles they require and extra strong pressure and tension springs that tension and pull up very strong thread into very dense leather.

As for portable heavy stitchers, there is the Cowboy Outlaw, the Tippmann Boss (both hand cranked), and the Artisan Toro 3200BT bench mounted motorized heavy stitcher. You can also sew holsters with a sole stitcher, like the Junker & Ruh sole stitcher or a Gritzner or Frobana hand cranked sole stitcher (rarer than hen's teeth)

20 hours ago, devon22691 said:

as Wiz said, i've played with it some and it tops out at 10oz and the thread size limit would be a nogo for holsters, probably sheaths as well.  For the shows, you'll need something that will handle the size of leather and thread you need, other than hand-stitching there aren't many options for a lightweight transportable solution...even the boss and outlaw need a sturdy mount to keep it from jumping all over, you may as well carry the cobra with you unless power is an issue...

This may be an ok or even good machine for what it is designed to sew.

The up and coming problem I foresee?.......

Tandy selling this to any newcomers with more scratch then knowledge about what they are buying. They will Shell out cash for a machine that probably won't suit their needs and wind up having to sell it for a big loss to fund the machine they need.

Also, these folks probably can't roll it back into their local Tandy when they have a problem with it. I wonder if that gets disclosed up front?

I haven't seen any comments about what pressure feet and such are available. I'm assuming they would be something from sailrite that comes with a hefty pricetag.

And another thing, I watched the video from stock and barrel leather (maybe the name is wrong)?  And this guy just couldn't say enough paid good things about this machine. Even went as far as saying it was looking like a better fit for his wallets and bags then his Juki. Really?

I commented and unsubscribed to his channel. I'm all for getting paid, but come on.

To tell the truth, I have no dog in this fight. But, I just see a lot of newcomers getting taken to the cleaners by Tandy on this one. And it puts an itch in my craw.

Just my .02.

Plus 1 for Bikermutt!!!!!

Cheap generic feet and other accessories avail for this machine all over ebay, etc, just like the rest of the mini walker machines (Reliable Barracuda, etc)

The motor Sailrite specs on these is the real star here and it will push pretty much any upholstery class machine to the limit of what it can do. Holsters though? Nope. Belts and wallets and such yeah but these machines max out there.

I would give a +1 vote to Wiz's suggestion of the Artisan portable setup for the 3200 BT machine. They are decent machines and that setup is specifically for tradeshows, events, rodeos and the like. If you were to lug a machine around to sew holsters and sheaths, and you didn't want to hand crank it, that would fit the bill.

I agree with Bikermutt. It probably has it place in the market for certain items/locations but comparing it to his Juki 1508 is a real stretch at best. Hell that whining sound alone when it's running compared to a Juki 1508 or any other Juki for that matter, come on get real, no comparison.

kgg

I've been through this many times.  

It's not a crime to hype, promote, sell, advertise, or provide only the good selling points of equipment offered.  A good sales person or team is supposed to do this, and it's their job.  

The problem I have is when people wind up surprised that the backyard go-cart with lawnmower engine they purchased is not the Maserati that they were told to expected to own.  You have to explain the limitations.  1st thing I do when offering a machine of this type is to qualify the customer by sitting them down on an industrial or asking them about their existing equipment to give a fair comparison.  This way the customer knows what it is they are getting and what to expect from the equipment.  If you are in production, machines of this type are great for on site job repairs, small jobs and the like.  They have a place in life, but are not going to replace a production quality canvas or sail making machine.  One guy who bought a machine of this type told be he lived on a house boat and cannot afford the space of an industrial.  Boom, perfect fit.  Right machine for the right customer.  

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing
info@keysew.com

47 minutes ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

I've been through this many times.  

It's not a crime to hype, promote, sell, advertise, or provide only the good selling points of equipment offered.  A good sales person or team is supposed to do this, and it's their job.  

The problem I have is when people wind up surprised that the backyard go-cart with lawnmower engine they purchased is not the Maserati that they were told to expected to own.  You have to explain the limitations.  1st thing I do when offering a machine of this type is to qualify the customer by sitting them down on an industrial or asking them about their existing equipment to give a fair comparison.  This way the customer knows what it is they are getting and what to expect from the equipment.  If you are in production, machines of this type are great for on site job repairs, small jobs and the like.  They have a place in life, but are not going to replace a production quality canvas or sail making machine.  One guy who bought a machine of this type told be he lived on a house boat and cannot afford the space of an industrial.  Boom, perfect fit.  Right machine for the right customer.  

well said Gregg ! Right machine for the right customer. Everyone has different needs.

6 hours ago, Techsew Ron said:

well said Gregg ! Right machine for the right customer. Everyone has different needs.

Mr. Ron,

Thanks for that, glad you liked it.  I got that phrase from Onik, who recently passed.  I'm guessing that you may have known him as well?

20 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

This may be an ok or even good machine for what it is designed to sew.

The up and coming problem I foresee?.......

Tandy selling this to any newcomers with more scratch then knowledge about what they are buying. They will Shell out cash for a machine that probably won't suit their needs and wind up having to sell it for a big loss to fund the machine they need.

Also, these folks probably can't roll it back into their local Tandy when they have a problem with it. I wonder if that gets disclosed up front?

I haven't seen any comments about what pressure feet and such are available. I'm assuming they would be something from sailrite that comes with a hefty pricetag.

And another thing, I watched the video from stock and barrel leather (maybe the name is wrong)?  And this guy just couldn't say enough paid good things about this machine. Even went as far as saying it was looking like a better fit for his wallets and bags then his Juki. Really?

I commented and unsubscribed to his channel. I'm all for getting paid, but come on.

To tell the truth, I have no dog in this fight. But, I just see a lot of newcomers getting taken to the cleaners by Tandy on this one. And it puts an itch in my craw.

Just my .02.

Kind of like the Janome HD3000 they have better...honestly i can get it to do almost the same as the stitch master, just not quite the oompf and no servo/speed reducer...but it makes very nice stitches and feels pretty solid.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:52 PM, benlilly1 said:

If you get wholesale from Tandy the cost is $1350 if I remember right. I paid $1500 for my Fabricator from Sailrite. I'm very pleased with the quality and they have tons of how to videos. Quality machines.

The fabricator has those teeth on them. Won’t that cut into the leather. 

I just paid for the Fabricator but then she asked me about the leather fed dog and that’s when she looked it up and told me the current setup has the teeth on them so I put a hold on shipment. 

I was able to talk with Bill at Sailrite and he said the had the smooth plate so I could remove the toothed one because I need a machine that will not cut and mess up the leather and exotic skins on my wallets. 

How does your work on wallets. Seems the teeth would mess up the leather. 

Hopefully you get a notification on this because I would like to get the fabricator but it has to not mess up the leather I’m making wallets out of and it’s expensive leather. 

Let me know if you done anything to your machine so the leather don’t get cut up by the teeth. 

Thanks

I've had 2-calls in the last week from people that bought one from Tandy & they both want to trade them in.They won't sew heavy enough & are marking the leather.I was nice to them & mentioned we do not have a market for this machine & don't want it on trade.They weren't very happy about it & now are probably upset with me since I won't bail them out.I'm willing to bet in a few more months Tandy will stop selling them.They are better suited for sewing vinyl for upholstery,sails or tarps.

Edited by CowboyBob

Kj4700,

If a machine has teeth, it's going to to mark the leather. The Fab takes a Singer 111-style foot, so there are a lot of options in that dept. (e.g. https://www.sailrite.com/Leather-Foot-Set-for-Fabricator-Sewing-Machine), but here's what the feed dog looks like: https://www.sailrite.com/Feed-Dog-for-Sailrite-111

Pretty toothy.

Sailrite is more canvas-focused as a company; I don't see an option for a smooth feed dog or a slotted needle plate that removes the feed dog from the equation. The Fabricator/Tacsew 111 is not as common as, say, a Consew 206 or Juki 1541, so feed-dog options might be limited.

I would call Bob or Gregg, who commented above, and see what your options are for smoothing things out.

Good luck, happy sewing!

Just purchased the Tandy Stitch Pro, but I'm very new to sewing and leather making.  Will it handle a v-138 thread on a #20 needle?

3 hours ago, bgstewart7 said:

Will it handle a v-138 thread on a #20 needle?

@bgstewart7,

From Tandy's website on the CRAFTOOL® PRO STITCH MASTER SEWING MACHINE (Craftool® Pro Stitch Master Sewing Machine — Tandy Leather, Inc.):

Compatible needle size range is #10 to #22. Thread range is from general home sewing thread to size #92.

From Sailrite's website on the Sailrite® Leatherwork® Sewing Machine Package (Sailrite® Leatherwork® Sewing Machine Package (110V) - Sailrite):

You can use thread up to V-92 (Tex 90) and needles up to #22 with this machine, although we recommend V-92 Polyester and #20 DI Leather Needles for most applications.

Based on both of these sites (same machine), I would say Yes to the #20 needle, but No to the v-138 thread.  Having said that, manufacturers often put the highest specs that the machine will run smoothly and reliably with.  That does not mean that it can not sew with v-138, and you would not know until you try. Doing so could void the warranty so do it at your own risk, but I would not recommend it.

I really hope this is not something you need the machine to do, but were just wondering about. Not to be rude, but if this is something you need the machine to do, you probably should have asked this question before purchasing. The bright side is that Tandy has a decent return policy (14 days on this machine), so you might be able to return the machine if you do need one that sews with heaver thread.  This is definitely a nice little compact machine, which is great for someone who is tight on space and sewing light weight leather products. If you keep it, I hope you enjoy it and that it serves you well.

Edited by RemingtonSteel

The Sailrite portable walking foot machines "can" use #138 bonded thread if you are careful with your adjustments. However, doing so will place a lot of extra stress on the take-up lever and its associated connections, for which it was not designed. IOW, you may get away with it, or you may not.

The machine specs say it can use up to a #22 needle. In my experience sewing leather, that size will work fine in soft leather, but not in hard leather. You may need a #23 needle to pull the knots up without maxing out the top tensioner. The bobbin tension will definitely need to be at a minimum to get a #22 needle to pull up #138 thread, top and bobbin.