ABHandmade

Carving dog

When carving the portrait of my German Shepherd Gerda, I took a series of photos of the stages of work and collect them in the form of a short video.
Hope this might be interesting to someone.

PS. Criticism and advice will be accepted by me with gratitude. And I will be happy to answer questions if some moments of the creation process cause interest.

Edited by ABHandmade

Great work and nice video of progression!

1 hour ago, benlilly1 said:

Great work and nice video of progression!

Thank you for your compliment, @benlilly1!

Absolutely amazing. Looks like a photograph.

Jeff

I enjoyed watching the time lapse video, paying attention to each step, then pausing the video and thinking about which tools and which techniques had just been used. 
The end result is a very nice piece of artwork. 

8 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Absolutely amazing. Looks like a photograph.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff!

8 hours ago, DJole said:

I enjoyed watching the time lapse video, paying attention to each step, then pausing the video and thinking about which tools and which techniques had just been used. 
The end result is a very nice piece of artwork. 

Thanks, @DJole!

Here, in addition to the obvious tools (swivel knife, hair blade, stamps F896, F895, B200, B935, F910, F902), several exotic ones were used. Mainly for wool and eye work.
Sometime a neighbor came to visit us. She is a dentist and, seeing my stand with stamps, said jokingly, "Yes, it's just a dentist's office!".
Thinking how best to work for embossing wool, I remembered this case and drove into the medical equipment store.
It turned out that some of the tools were perfect for working "as is" and some I slightly modified. The undoubted advantages of these tools are the material (high-quality stainless steel) and a very small price (each cost me $ 2-3).

Below - photo of those that I used in this work.st.jpg

That is very impressive. Well done.

I enjoyed the video very much. I hope you have many more planned. I just can't get enough of seeing your work. I am entranced by it!

How many people missed the fact that it's 4" x 5"?  Tha's great detail in that size pic (plus, never tire of seeing your use of color). :cheers:

1 hour ago, Lynxlady said:

I enjoyed the video very much. I hope you have many more planned. I just can't get enough of seeing your work. I am entranced by it!

Thank you so much for this comment and for those that you left to a few more of my works!

@JLSleather

Jeff, thank you very much! :cheers:

Oh dam, I saw the thread title and thought it was about a dog carving, like 'Dog's playing poker"....
Real nice dog carving tho, good job!

Is there any chance that you might post a video of you working with those tools in the photo?  :spoton:

1 hour ago, Lynxlady said:

Is there any chance that you might post a video of you working with those tools in the photo?  :spoton:

I am very sorry, but, unfortunately, shooting a video is definitely not the case in which I at least succeeded. My "ceiling" is to make a series of photos and animate them (as the first post of the topic heading). As soon as the camera turns on, I begin to twitch and make mistakes (a purely psychological effect).

Well, I wouldn't want to be responsible for a reaction like that!  :wacko:

I'll be watching for future still shots of your work in progress!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent with us.

Excellent. Thank you for sharing. 

Most excellent work and I loved the video as well.