VYO

Attachment or something that will make an overlapping seam?

I'm making handbags right now and saw a video showing a machine that sewed an overlapping seam. Instead of matching wrong sides or right sides depending on what you're doing the seam is lapped and stitched by machine. I have a Cowboy CB3200 and a Consew P1206RB. Wondering if anyone knows of an attachment that might do an overlapping seam or if either of these machines will do that and I just can't figure out how to do it.

machine flat seam.jpg

From your picture it looks like simply putting one on top of the other and sew.

Well, until you are working on a u-shape. Then it's not so simple as just overlapping and sewing so that the sewing arm would not get in the way of the gusset. ;) 

Edited by VYO

39 minutes ago, VYO said:

Well, until you are working on a u-shape. Then it's not so simple as just overlapping and sewing so that the sewing arm would not get in the way of the gusset. ;) 

The picture does not SHOW what you are describing.  It shows flat pieces laid overlapping.

For an "U-shape "You need a post bed sewing machine

image.jpeg

Edited by Michiel

You need a lap seam folder that suits the leather you are using and your machine needs an changeable attachment plate or screw hole in front of the needle plate or you make a custom bracket for attaching it to the screw holes right of the needle plate

Not sure if this one works but thats basically the design of a lap seam folder

https://armastore.eu/a31-xh-lap-seam-folder

They have lots of different lap seam folder, some are described ad "Heavy Duty" guessing they could work for leather too.

https://armastore.eu/sewing/folders-binders/?guide_machine=534

But there are for sure suppliers in the US - just wanted to give you an idea.

Lap seam folder are usually used with double needle machine but they come for different needle spaces so I`m sure you can use the for single needle machines as well.

Or check with an attachment mfg. Co. like Atlanta Attachment Co. for custom making one that suits your needs but they are pricey I guess.

Also available with triple transport

Well, I'm with catskin. Any machine can do what is drawn, but I'm having trouble picturing how anything can turn what is drawn into what you're describing.:blink: (But I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of some of the esoteric capabilities of sewing machine attachments is sadly lacking).

This would commonly mount onto the front slide plate found on many double needle machines.  Think of a Singer 112W139 for an example.

No stock here at the moment, I get these from Tenn. Attachment 780-10 however there are many capable custom attachment suppliers who can also do a great job.

780-10TA.jpg

9 hours ago, catskin said:

The picture does not SHOW what you are describing.  It shows flat pieces laid overlapping.

Yes, I should have been more diligent and mentioned that in my original post. 

8 hours ago, Michiel said:

For an "U-shape "You need a post bed sewing machine

Ah, so really I'd have to have a different machine just for this purpose.  I'll have to do some research and see if I can budget in a post bed machine at some point. I see Toledo has a post bed machine but over my budget right now. I also need to do a little research to see if I want a single or double needle machine. Seems like I could make a host of other things I've wanted to do. I'll have to research what triple transport means. Thank you. 

@Constabulary and @Gregg From Keystone SewingThanks. I think I'll look into getting one of those attachments because I could use that in another type of application I had been thinking about and that attachment would be perfect.

A way to do a lap fold if you don't want to spend the money on an attachments or a extra machine or you only are going to it once in awhile is to place your material good side to good side with the edges matched then tack stitch the matching edges together every few inches or glue the matching edges together or do a full stitch run close to the edge of the matching edges. Fold the top piece over the seam to give you the layover size you want, say a 1/2", then sew down the lapped over piece. One row of stitches maybe ok depending on the size of the layover and thickness of material more then likely a 1/2" lap over will require two stitch runs to get it to lay flat.

kgg

Just goes to show, sometimes a simple question gets answers like "subtract 9 from Tuesday".

It SEEMS she's talking about sewing a lap joint ON A CURVE.