bermudahwin

Cold coffee as a measure of concentration

So how focussed are you?

My wife measures it in cold coffees...

"That is the [insert number here] coffee you've let get cold, whilst you are doing..." whatever.

Today has been a four cold cup day, and I am mainly sketching a satchel and some bits for a commission.

And its only 12 centigrade / 53 F in the workshop, so I should drink it hot if I had any sense.

As I am not overwhelmingly stupid, and because I really appreciate the attention, I do drink almost all of them !

A. Don't have wifey

B. I never waste a cup of coffee

C. 1/2 mugs of tea; on average, 4 by 1/2 cups, sometimes set down in another room, eg, next to one of the computers, or is it on the cutting table, assembly desk or. . . in the kitchen? Today, just one.

Except for the first cup in the morning I usually end up drinking all my coffee (12 cups over a full day) cold during the day. I drink decaf. Too distracted by what I'm working on to bother re-heating it.

Edited by VYO

51 minutes ago, fredk said:

A. Don't have wifey

We share drink making duties, as both work from home.

It's her measure as she always drinks hot drinks whilst they are hot.

H

I had this problem whenever I undertook a garage project.  Then I selected one of these from the gift catalog my employer provides us around Christmas every year: https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-Warmer-Office-MWBLKPDQ-RB/dp/B000CO89T8

This silly little device changed my life. It doesn't keep the coffee piping hot, but very drinkable for as long as you want to leave it there.

I did find that it's helpful to keep some kind of rubber/plastic coaster on top of the mug.  Steam will condense there and drip back into the mug -- keeps your coffee from boiling dry.  Added benefit of keeping sawdust, etc from settling in my beverage.

EDIT: Ha!  Well, there is apparently a more elegant solution to the condensation problem: https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Covers-Multicolored-Flexible-Covers,Hot/dp/B07DWX2S6N/ref=sr_1_4

Edited by GRod
Additional info found

H you need to move your stuff into the house that way the coffee will stay a little warmer longer. Try and sell that to the misses. Yesterday here it was -30 C (-22 F) and today it's going to go up to +4 (39 F). That's a 34 C temperature change in about 24 hours. Winter parka or rain coat tomorrow? 

kgg

55 minutes ago, GRod said:

This silly little device changed my life. It doesn't keep the coffee piping hot, but very drinkable for as long as you want to leave it there.

I did find that it's helpful to keep some kind of rubber/plastic coaster on top of the mug.

That looks kinda nifty, I'll UK amazon hunt for it. Thanks GRod

22 minutes ago, kgg said:

H you need to move your stuff into the house that way the coffee will stay a little warmer longer.

What and lose all of this space? Its heating it that's the bummer, as its a single skin brick garage that was converted by a previous occupant.

my Godson's a PhD post doctoral naturalist and has been 3 months Guelph, 3 months northern Yukon, and he has 'explained' my workshop is not cold, many times... :rofl: He is, of course, wrong!

I dont envy any of my friends and ex colleagues in US, Canada and northern Europe the temperatures, and used to moan like a baby when it was me that had to travel in winter. So you have my sympathy.

H

Yes I've had the same problem, partially solved by using one of these. 

bubba.png

1 hour ago, Bigfoote said:

Yes I've had the same problem, partially solved by using one of these. 

bubba.png

Check out Poundland, Home Bargains and B&M for a thermos mug. Anywhere from £1 to £4.99 for the same mug. I have a couple for use at motorsport events

deviation; that there would be handy for keeping pots of glue/resin/dye warm [do not put all three in the same pot!]

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-Warmer-Office-MWBLKPDQ-RB/dp/B000CO89T8

I've a great thermal bottle from Costco, but always forget it (except at motorsport too, snap), fredk

like the heater idea, though, and have a silicon cover that is now in the shop, thanks GRod

I have precisely one leather project on my resume: a very poorly tooled Aztec-ish lizard on a coaster.  I'm lurking these parts because I simply hope to learn enough to make a few useful things; perhaps a nice belt and probably a journal cover.  Maybe a nice satchel/messenger bag if I'm feeling ambitious.

The level of artistry on these pages is, quite simply, staggering.  If I can feel as though I've added value around here simply by mentioning my silly little coffee cup hot plate, well...  that's a huge personal win for me!

Glad to help.

We all begin somewhere, and small steps can lead to big projects.

I started by making small plain pieces, then some western carving, then traditional leatheroods, and saddled...

Or maybe carve Bill the Cat... on a coaster :-)

4 hours ago, kgg said:

H you need to move your stuff into the house that way the coffee will stay a little warmer longer. Try and sell that to the misses. Yesterday here it was -30 C (-22 F) and today it's going to go up to +4 (39 F). That's a 34 C temperature change in about 24 hours. Winter parka or rain coat tomorrow? 

kgg

OMG you guys out East are have a crazy cold snap...

Warm wishes from the West :)

Yesterday -50 boots, insulated jeans, insulated work coveralls, turtle neck, hoodie, winter arctic parker. Tonight / tomorrow sweat shirt and rain jacket. I want, I need, I hope and pray for climate change +22C (72F) all year.

kgg

7 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

Or maybe carve Bill the Cat... on a coaster :-)

Excellent idea!  How would anyone know if I'd done a poor job? 

OMG, Bill the CAt!  I've got to add that to my list of things to tool... now, how to do a fur ball....

YinTx