JazzBass

Strap Scrap...suggestions please ;)

After having made quite a few dress/casual belts, I find that I have a bunch of 1" and 1.25" straps of English Bridle from both W&C and H.O.
Having started out at 60-70 inches, the "scrap" is too short (20-25" or so) for anything but a kid's belt. (not sure I'd buy an $80 belt for a kid who will grow out of it in no time)

Any suggestions? This stuff is just too nice to just relegate it to "scrap".
Suggestions don't necessarily have to be a finished product, per se - I'd be happy to use them for some sort of useful practice, if nothing else.

Long as they match, they'll be fine for "billets" on ranger belts.  Or bracelets.  Or one end of a gun sling (rivet or lace together).  Or bag straps - either one piece, or join them with an 'O' ring or square 'D'.  Or strap retainers on cases (cross the strap to tie in place). Or ...

Right length fo some "exotic" pieces, I'd guess, but there may be issues with finish, etc etc, I am a no-nothing in this area.

H

15 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Long as they match, they'll be fine for "billets" on ranger belts.  Or bracelets.  Or one end of a gun sling (rivet or lace together).  Or bag straps - either one piece, or join them with an 'O' ring or square 'D'.  Or strap retainers on cases (cross the strap to tie in place). Or ...

Ah...hadn't thought of billets. If they were unfinished veg,  bracelets would have been my first choice since it could be stamped/tooled. I'm not set up for hot stamping for names etc. Do folks actually want plain black bracelets? (I know nothing about the "kinky" side of leather. LOL!)  Sling ends/Strap retainers...good suggestions.  Thanks.

dog collars?

+1 on dog collars or cat collars.  Key fobs, sure.  How about watch straps?  Another thing they might work for is an adjustable belt such as those offered by Colonel Littleton.  I'm not suggesting a direct copy, but his adjustable belt is pretty cool the way it works.  Essentially it is made of several pieces of leather and the buckle stays in the same hole regardless of you gaining or losing weight.  There is a 2-prong hook that fastens on the side that provides 8" of adjustability.

collars, handles etc

4 hours ago, JazzBass said:

After having made quite a few dress/casual belts, I find that I have a bunch of 1" and 1.25" straps of English Bridle from both W&C and H.O.
Having started out at 60-70 inches, the "scrap" is too short (20-25" or so) for anything but a kid's belt. (not sure I'd buy an $80 belt for a kid who will grow out of it in no time)

Any suggestions? This stuff is just too nice to just relegate it to "scrap".
Suggestions don't necessarily have to be a finished product, per se - I'd be happy to use them for some sort of useful practice, if nothing else.

If you have a press of some type you just keep making use of the shorter bits ...depending on the value of material used somewhat. Don't have much problem getting the tongue holes in the right place with this method either.:dunno:

Chain Belt 1.JPG

13 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

If you have a press of some type you just keep making use of the shorter bits ...depending on the value of material used somewhat. Don't have much problem getting the tongue holes in the right place with this method either.:dunno:

Chain Belt 1.JPG

Is that what this is for?

punch.png.ce8f2418dbf459dea8a43a35b65974c1.png

YinTx

3 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

Would you be able to use some for keepers for future belts?

Yes...and I've done so,  using one of the scraps for several keepers, leaving the other scraps "long".

1 hour ago, DJole said:

dog collars?

Sure. They'd be plain, but would last forever.

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

+1 on dog collars or cat collars.  Key fobs, sure.  How about watch straps?  Another thing they might work for is an adjustable belt such as those offered by Colonel Littleton.  I'm not suggesting a direct copy, but his adjustable belt is pretty cool the way it works.  Essentially it is made of several pieces of leather and the buckle stays in the same hole regardless of you gaining or losing weight.  There is a 2-prong hook that fastens on the side that provides 8" of adjustability.

Watch straps - I'd need a good splitter for that. My skills with a skiver/knife could never reduce this stuff to a usable thickness and have it smooth and even. Hmm...good excuse to assimilate new skills and practice! Thanks ;)

9 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Whoa!! I had considered "artistic splicing" of pieces, since it needn't pull a truck, it just has to hold up your pants. LOL! BUT--
Your pic made me scratch my head for a minute or two, as to how these pieces were joined in a chain - it was only the "tounge" that's hanging down in the pic that gave it away - "chain link" shaped pieces folded with one hole over the other, then feed the next through the (now single) hole. Brilliant!

@YinTx

Wow. I'd have to say, yes! Hahaha.
I SURE didn't expect to see a die like this!!!!

Just looking at it closely, maybe not.  It'd need to taper at the waist.  Anyone know what it is for?

YinTx

10 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Just looking at it closely, maybe not.  It'd need to taper at the waist.  Anyone know what it is for?

YinTx

Yes, it's oval instead of a radius/taper in the middle, but what else could it be for? I guess that scale is everything - Assuming it's about 2"-3" across, it could be used to make a linked belt like the one pictured. If the punch were 4"-5" long, a whole bunch of other uneducated, complete speculations as to purpose, might result. ;)

In any case, ideas for using small pieces for larger projects, was exactly the point of my original post. Gotta love it!

Edited by JazzBass

46 minutes ago, JazzBass said:

Sure. They'd be plain, but would last forever.

Meet Sadie the Destroyer.

Oh, I know! She looks harmless enough. Ha! It's a trick! You've heard of the rift in the space-time continuum? Sadie. Really. 

sadiepic.jpg

Edited by alpha2

@alpha2

Sorry for the off topic, but could not resist - your Sadie is a real beauty! :)

And my 2 cents on the topic. Perhaps it could be leather hairpins.

Edited by ABHandmade

11 hours ago, YinTx said:

Is that what this is for?

YinTx

No That shape would not work for inter joining links but maybe in useful for feeding some rope through and folding over to have another rope slide between. Horse halter type stuff maybe.

10 hours ago, ABHandmade said:

@alpha2

Sorry for the off topic, but could not resist - your Sadie is a real beauty! :)

And my 2 cents on the topic. Perhaps it could be leather hairpins.

?? like these

IMGP4715_resize.jpg

Or perhaps the hair bar would be easier. Many just use a wooden dowel but I reckon a piece of cow horn looks a bit flasher

CC Hair bar.JPG

SORRY I just coudnt resist:wub:

22 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Or perhaps the hair bar would be easier. Many just use a wooden dowel but I reckon a piece of cow horn looks a bit flasher

CC Hair bar.JPG

Yes, I meant this option. I apologize for the fact that my creepy English is sometimes misleading.

16 minutes ago, ABHandmade said:

Yes, I meant this option. I apologize for the fact that my creepy English is sometimes misleading.

Nothing to apologise for @ABHandmade your English is fine ...I'm just being creepy showng off again:P

These pics show a hair clip attachment

1210 Tail Hairclip.jpg

Flower hair clip.JPG

and this one shows the clip.... and the fact that I can make a mess of the edging too at timesFlower hair clip3.JPG

@RockyAussie

It seems to me that "show off" and showing wonderful works (yours) is not the same thing. This applies not only to the leather, but also to your designs and devices.

Thanks for the pics of Sadie beautiful dog started my day of right !

16 hours ago, YinTx said:

s that what this is for?

Snap tab on a wallet?

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Snap tab on a wallet?

Maybe, but what about the two holes it makes?  I understand it may have come out of a fabric or furniture place if that helps the mystery...

YinTx