miker

from Desktop to portable!

I had this idea long time ago.

I have an old pfaff capable of zigzag and straight stitching that i don't use it any more! So i decide to make an experiment!

Make the old machine portable! Ok it's a little heavy but only a little!

I made a wooden box as a case for the machine.

For the motor a use an old 12volt cordless drill. I took it apart and use the electric motor and the trigger.

You can use the battery from any cordless drill. To make the foot pedal i used 2 pieces of plywood

I made a lot of improvisation to make it work!

It's not a state of the art but the experiment was ok! Total cost? Less than 50euros! There are plenty of improvement to be made.

i will use it a little to see  how convenient it is and if i like it i will make it better!

foto06.jpg

foto05.jpg

foto04.jpg

foto02.jpg

foto01.jpg

The big problem with using cordless drill motors (for anything) is finding a suitable power supply as they generally draw at least a couple of amps (often more).

I keep thinking that it would be fun to mount a similar machine to a medium duty hand truck and have fold down legs for the left side. Roll it to the location, pivot the machine up and pivot the legs down and be ready to go! (this is not my original thought .. I just felt it was cool.)

9 hours ago, dikman said:

The big problem with using cordless drill motors (for anything) is finding a suitable power supply as they generally draw at least a couple of amps (often more).

I will use the battery pack from another drill.I have 4 such battery packs. I don't know how long can last! A friend needs a bimini for his boat and it's a good chance to try the machine! Actually it needs a better motor but this is for future. Also a bigger pulley on the motor and another suitable type on the machine.
Anyway this is just an idea and this is the first attempt! I know there are portable machines on the market but i want to make this one!

14 hours ago, miker said:

I will use the battery pack from another drill.I have 4 such battery packs. I don't know how long can last! A friend needs a bimini for his boat and it's a good chance to try the machine! Actually it needs a better motor but this is for future. Also a bigger pulley on the motor and another suitable type on the machine.
Anyway this is just an idea and this is the first attempt! I know there are portable machines on the market but i want to make this one!

Great idea!! Looks like it should work as needed.