blue62

Cowboy 8020 splitter

Other than the people that sell them does anyone have any firsthand experience with the 8020 splitter?

I'm thinking about getting one and was wondering how much tinkering and how steep the learning curve is to get it to work as it should.

Thank you

Hi blue62,

were you able to obtain information about the 8020? I'm also interested in getting some info to determine if I want to buy one.

Thanks

Andreas

No, nothing other than what's on YouTube, I sure would like to hear from someone with one.

They look pretty easy to use. And being from cowboy the support will be there. 

I think (and I haven't had any experience with them) they are mostly used with firmer leathers. 

Yes, they do look easy to use, I think support from any of the Chinese manufacturers if pretty slim, the quality of support depends on the selling dealer, some are very knowledgeable, some sell the machines, I had to do a lot of fiddling with my cb4500 to get it to work like I think it should.

I’m looking at buying one too, but want reviews before I drop the coin! 

How crazy of a topic is this? I've looked high and low for real reviews as well and can't find any. Has no one bought one of these before in the last decade that can tell us about it? The Geneva Motor Show just ended and I'm already reading articles about new car roll outs. Antonio Brown just left the Steelers for the Raiders 45 minutes ago and I've read two reports and watched 15 minutes of coverage on NFL network. It's so strange no one can offer real advice and insight.

Personally, I'd want to USE one before I'd take the word of somebody I don't know.  In case you haven't figured it out, many of the "reviews" you see on products are heavily influenced, many even compensated.  Always been that way, but even more so in these days of "you like my page and I'll like yours" poop.

You don't have to go very far. This site is easy to find many posts about products from people who aren't personally familiar with the product, but feel some need to post anyway.  I have been told I should order Hermann Oak leather and get this or that sewing machine by people who have never used either :rofl:

Having said that, I have not used the cowboy splitter.. never even been in the room when someone else is using one.  Because of that, if I were in the market for something in that range, I'd go SEE one used.  I would want to know something about the blade... what size? how difficult a job to sharpen it, and how often would I expect it to need sharpening?  Are replacement blades available, and are they cost effective?

WHY-tube CAN be used for some good, but that's the exception really.  Know who I really admire?  That alien queen that just won't stop chasing Sigourney Weaver... that's a great actress.  Wonder what planet she was born and raised on ... She's skilled and determined. POINT IS I can make a video that makes ANYTHING look good. ;)

Jls, that what I'd like to do, but it seems nobody actually has one, The Leather Guy in St Charles can order one in, but it's special order only.  The price is the same as the Cobra 14,  but there would be any additional freight to get it to me since I could pick it up.

Youboob has some really good stuff, but I agree anything can be made to look good.

I'm a little Leary of the Chinese stuff after buying a cb4500, seems like any accessories I get for it need a complete refit to make them work the way I think they should.

Nobody? You’d think the folks who sell them would be asking those they’ve sold them to, to kindly reply to a thread like this? 

Still no responses huh? Did you end up finding someone who had one!? I'm in the same boat but want to try one first 

Still no responses huh? Did you end up finding someone who had one!? I'm in the same boat but want to try one first 

No, I haven't used one, or bought a splitter at all, I've been keeping a eye out for a band knife though, .

I bought a Cobra class 14 and am very happy with it. Was looking at cowboy but decided not to.

I am looking as well.  Does the cobra 14 actually cut 14”.   Same with cowboy 20” cut 20” wide.  Not much real info.   No video I could find cutting a piece that wide.  
I have some products that I would like to split down that are wide.  Might be cheaper just to get correct thickness of leather but with covid it’s been hard to find leather and get it the size stated.  

On 11/7/2020 at 6:45 PM, HappyHoof said:

I am looking as well.  Does the cobra 14 actually cut 14”.   Same with cowboy 20” cut 20” wide.  Not much real info.   No video I could find cutting a piece that wide.  
I have some products that I would like to split down that are wide.  Might be cheaper just to get correct thickness of leather but with covid it’s been hard to find leather and get it the size stated.  

Although I wish I had some reviews about the cowboy, neither splitters (any) are recommended to split the whole length of the blade. for a 14" blade, you should skiff 12-13" piece.