splinters

Chrome Tan / Veggie Tan edge treatment

Are the processes for chrome tan edges the same as used with veggie tan edges, such as edge beveling, preps and finishes? My first time to work with chrome tan.

Thanks.

Edited by splinters

48 minutes ago, splinters said:

Are the processes for chrome tan edges the same as used with veggie tan edges, such as edge beveling, preps and finishes?

They are not the same. Getting an decent edge (i.e., polished smooth with a finished look) on chrome tan is very challenging, so edge paint is a common solution, with the burnishing done using a heating iron (but not always). Beveling the edge is an option, but not commonly in use, as it makes painting the edge more difficult (my opinion).

If you lean towards a rougher design, nonburnished edges seem acceptable to me.

Alright gents. Thanks for your input. I’m thinking since I have some Edge Kote I’ll give that a shot and call it good. 

I use Giardini MaxMatte or Vernis. Giardini is thicker and for me easier to apply without slopping it up than Vernis but sometimes Vernis is what I use. I don't bevel the edges when using edge paint. In my case beveling makes it harder to get a good clean finish. There have been a few times when I've not finished the edges but I was never fully satisfied with the item when completed.

1 hour ago, splinters said:

I’m thinking since I have some Edge Kote I’ll give that a shot and call it good. 

And I'm sure it will look just fine. To apply Edge Kote (or any dyes), I found an item that keeps the dye from running onto the surface of your project. It is Montana Black Empty Marker 3 mm Chisel that I got from Amazon. Works great. I use it for Edge Kote, which is water based, and also for spirit based dyes. Does not work so well with the edge paints mentioned above.

Montana Black Empty Marker 3 mm Chisel.jpg

6 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

And I'm sure it will look just fine. To apply Edge Kote (or any dyes), I found an item that keeps the dye from running onto the surface of your project. It is Montana Black Empty Marker 3 mm Chisel that I got from Amazon. Works great. I use it for Edge Kote, which is water based, and also for spirit based dyes. Does not work so well with the edge paints mentioned above.

Montana Black Empty Marker 3 mm Chisel.jpg

Excellent! I've just orderer two. Edge Kote can be a pain to apply but this seems like a reasonable solution. 

41 minutes ago, VYO said:

Excellent! I've just orderer two. Edge Kote can be a pain to apply but this seems like a reasonable solution. 

You will also want to order a small funnel to fill them with. 

3 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

You will also want to order a small funnel to fill them with. 

Will do.

Also turned or rolled edges as another method.

YinTx

16 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Also turned or rolled edges as another method.

and piping.

but usually i just feather the edge of the chrome quite thin

Thanks for all the good input. Love this forum. 

The following is what I have been using on veg tan edges and works very good for me. I am please with the control I have without creating slop over on the burnished edge or stitching. Not expensive and easy to find components with a close-pin, a remanent of felt and your in business. The width of the applicator will pass into the top of the bottle for a touch of solution. Not necessary to load the felt for application. A little seems to go a good distance. I haven't noticed an issue with fuzz , at least not yet. So, I'll give this a try on the chrome tan.

Don't remember where I picked this up but from where ever "many thanks". :) 

ztVnhupl.jpg

Edited by splinters

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

and piping.

but usually i just feather the edge of the chrome quite thin

I'll have to try my hand at feathering.

Edited by splinters

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, JLSleather said:

i just feather the edge

Using a feather is supposed to be erotic, its using a whole chicken that makes things kinky! :lol:

Here is one application of Fiebing's Edge Kote Brown. Don't know how well you can see the edge in the photo but looks like I should have added multiple coats to smooth the edge more. Maybe one of the other mentioned products would fill in the roughness better. Anyway, thanks again for all the input. :)

Lv32jWtl.jpg