Good afternoon!!!

I'll start by saying I'm a total newb.  I'm making what's turning out to be a very in depth and exciting project... a sissy bar bag for my Harley.  I'm only a few months into this.  Long story short...I'm 45 and have suffered a series of strokes due to an aneurysm.  Lost my passions/hobbies along with so much more in the recovery process.  Injuries built up from some climbing accidents, motorcycle crashes, and fighting competitively since I was 14.  Anyhow...it's been devastating.  Then a friend introduced me to leather working and BAM....seems I found just what I needed.  A new passion, hobby, and something completely unexpected....THERAPY.  It's helped my in so many ways.  It's all but replaced what would likely be OT.  Anyhow...there it is...total newb but go easy.

So my question - can someone give me ANY and all advice on incorporating a zipper?  I'm turning the cover/flap into more space by adding a panel underneath with zipper access.  I've NEVER even thought of sewing a zipper and have quickly realized it's harder than it looks.  

Thanks in advance.  I really appreciate this community and tips. 

I tried to sew a zipper awhile ago it didn't go that well couldn't get the 2 parts together 

this is also useful for me 

I am also in to motorcycles but only managed to do cars the last one my dads 72 buick Riviera 

I would checkout youtube and there do a search for " sailrite zippers " there are many video of installing zippers. They should give you a good idea on how to installed zippers, roughly the same techniques whether it is fabric or leather material. 

kgg

Thank you!  I've been doing so and will continue.  Any and all tips appreciated.  I'm not sure why a zipper seems so daunting!

Just give it a try!  First zipper I did you would have thought I'd won the lottery :D Turned out to not be so bad after all!

5 hours ago, durangoclimber said:

Good afternoon!!!

I'll start by saying I'm a total newb.  I'm making what's turning out to be a very in depth and exciting project... a sissy bar bag for my Harley.  I'm only a few months into this.  Long story short...I'm 45 and have suffered a series of strokes due to an aneurysm.  Lost my passions/hobbies along with so much more in the recovery process.  Injuries built up from some climbing accidents, motorcycle crashes, and fighting competitively since I was 14.  Anyhow...it's been devastating.  Then a friend introduced me to leather working and BAM....seems I found just what I needed.  A new passion, hobby, and something completely unexpected....THERAPY.  It's helped my in so many ways.  It's all but replaced what would likely be OT.  Anyhow...there it is...total newb but go easy.

So my question - can someone give me ANY and all advice on incorporating a zipper?  I'm turning the cover/flap into more space by adding a panel underneath with zipper access.  I've NEVER even thought of sewing a zipper and have quickly realized it's harder than it looks.  

Thanks in advance.  I really appreciate this community and tips. 

Not sure if this will help you or not but here's a post I did awhile ago may be worth a look.

5 hours ago, durangoclimber said:

I'm not sure why a zipper seems so daunting!

Just know that you are not alone. Zippers can be very challenging.

I'm going to do a couple zipper installations (two different types of installations) on Saturday. I'll take photos of the steps I do and post photos then.

Edited by VYO

Zippers have two sides, . . . one with the slider, . . . one without.

I always sew in the slider side first, . . . starting from the bottom or the end where the two meet, . . .  come back down to the starting point, . . . put the zipper together, . . . zip it closed, . . . sew in the other side.

I also ALWAYS completely stick my leather / zipper things together with contact cement.  

It first, . . . lets me see what the finished product will look like, . . . and second, . . . helps me keep  everything in line.

That's how I do it anyway.

May God bless,

Dwight

WOW!  So much good info.  I'm really glad I signed up for this site/forum.  I'll be giving several techniques a go this weekend and I'll try and post.  I really appreciate the replies and openness of this group.  

On 1/25/2019 at 12:22 PM, durangoclimber said:

WOW!  So much good info.  I'm really glad I signed up for this site/forum.  I'll be giving several techniques a go this weekend and I'll try and post.  I really appreciate the replies and openness of this group.  

In my opinion the strongest zipper is ykk nylon coil, for your application I would use a #5, the trick to any zipper is to keep your stitches close, what I mean don't stitch 3 stiches per in, go with 5 to 6 per inch an back off on the tention,if using steel tooth zipper make sure the zipper teeth are facing the same direction when putting on the zipper pull ( the teeth should be facing you as you put on the zipper pull. with nylon coil it don't matter

On 1/24/2019 at 6:06 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

Just know that you are not alone. Zippers can be very challenging.