Elvis

Flat (?) edge burnishing

For me this is such a perfect work. I was trying to figure out how they do it. What kind of edge beveled or burnished should I use to do edges like that? Technique?

And is this a dye edge or just an effect of burnishing?

D5CC3050-7CBD-4965-A34B-B20EBA1293DC.jpeg

2AD3B21A-BFE1-46CC-92EC-1ED27BCDA13C.jpeg

85BC07EC-29B5-4977-A9C5-55E7F33F1B47.jpeg

In the close-up, it appears that leather is just natural veg. What you think might be a dye or stain it is the "burn"  from the burnishing. 

Only a guess but the flat edges are achieved from the burnisher just as you would with a reg sander.

1 hour ago, rleather said:

Only a guess but the flat edges are achieved from the burnisher just as you would with a reg sander.

They probably used a flat edger or a French edger. +1 on the rest.

This (to me) appears to be "machine burnished".

I don't mean that it wasn't done by someone with serious skill - just that I do not think this was done with a manual slicker, regardless of shape. Someone with the right touch, used an electric burnisher, at multiple angles, to accomplish this.

Opinions?

8 hours ago, Elvis said:

And is this a dye edge or just an effect of burnishing?

Not sure about a dye effect but I just watched a video that did something similar looking to this on instagram for the burnishing. 

13 hours ago, robs456 said:

They probably used a flat edger or a French edger. +1 on the rest.

I think they use this flat edger too. I tried to do with a “normal” one. Rounded and it don’t works. 

Do you know what brands sells this flat edgers?

13 hours ago, JazzBass said:

This (to me) appears to be "machine burnished".

I don't mean that it wasn't done by someone with serious skill - just that I do not think this was done with a manual slicker, regardless of shape. Someone with the right touch, used an electric burnisher, at multiple angles, to accomplish this.

Opinions?

Was my first thought too. But I’m not sure. 

8 hours ago, VYO said:

Not sure about a dye effect but I just watched a video that did something similar looking to this on instagram for the burnishing. 

Really interesting way 

Nigel Armitage had the company Just Wood make a beveler that keeps a flat edge rather than rounded. At one time they sold both a hand burnisher and one to fit a grinder however I don't see the hand burnisher on their website. Here's the link if you'd like to give it a look. Cheers.

https://www.justwood.com/buy/nigel-armitage-just-wood-leather-burnisher_30.htm

8 hours ago, Elvis said:

Do you know what brands sells this flat edgers?

I got mine from Tandy, I think they still sell them.

The effect in the top pictures is from natural veg tan that had CMC (CarboxyMethyl Cellulose, I think) applied and then burnished by hand... meaning, using his hands.  This is the work of a very talented artisan named Daisukenshin, I believe.

He also only uses wing dividers and an awl--no stitch marking wheels or pricking irons or stitching chisels--as well as maybe a dozen tools that he has mastered, as opposed to hundreds of tools that he doesn't know as well.  He is an incredibly talented leathercrafter, IMHO.

11 hours ago, johnv474 said:

The effect in the top pictures is from natural veg tan that had CMC (CarboxyMethyl Cellulose, I think) applied and then burnished by hand... meaning, using his hands.  This is the work of a very talented artisan named Daisukenshin, I believe.

He also only uses wing dividers and an awl--no stitch marking wheels or pricking irons or stitching chisels--as well as maybe a dozen tools that he has mastered, as opposed to hundreds of tools that he doesn't know as well.  He is an incredibly talented leathercrafter, IMHO.

Exactly! Is from Daisuke. From me he is the BEST and most talented leatherctafter. 

His tools are all made by a Japanese guy called Ogunaru. 

And by the way, thanks about the information of the CMC. I always saw it but never tried. On my last works I start to use the Tokonole

Edited by Elvis

Tokonole is good, maybe better than CMC. Tokonole has a little wax in it that helps to shine the edge.  CMC typically does not.