steelhawk

Can I Use this Dye on a Holster?

I am out of Fiebings black dye. The nearest  place I can get some is a 60  mile round trip. The hardware store in town has some Lincoln oil based aniline dye for shoes. If I can use it on a field holster that I will be stitching with white  thread I will buy a bottle. Here is a picture of  what I think is the product. I haven't yet gone into town to buy some.

lincolnDye.png.21bdd7c3c30e7011011fe18815de6284.png

I wouldn't use that.  Might be okay for touchups on leather that's already black, but not meant to DYE natural leather black.  It's more of an accent than a "dye" or a "paint".  

Based on leather technology sites, analine dyes are used for veg tanned furniture leathers.

I recall analine dyes being available in craft stores in 1970s, my first purchase was 'Kelly green' and it covered well.

Dunno if its as good as newer dyes.

They wanted $8 for the Lincoln dye so I decided to take a drive and go with the Fiebings dye since the price difference there would be about the same as the extra gas cost. I know what the end result would be with Fiebings.

Edited by steelhawk

1 hour ago, steelhawk said:

I know what the end result would be with Fiebings.

There ya go.  I base my opinion on the other dye on what you said about it being aniline dye.  As a rule, those were used for "staining" wood... the desired result being that they color the wood but don't actually "hide" it like a paint.  Buddy of mine used to use them for custom wood work.  

That said there's a guy around here somewhere from bulgaria who makes VERY nice leather goods using wood stain as color.

Like you said, you know the result with fiebings

I have used it and can tell you that it rubs off very easily and smells GOD AWFUL