SilverForgeStudio

Looking for help with a nicked V gouge

Being new- Ive been laying down some hand stitches and trying to get a firm grasp on the basics of this process. I had purchased a series of "must haves" for when I get to that point- one tool being a V Gouge (the screw-type adjustable one)

So I never really got it out of the pretty plasti-dip covering... till I needed it. And I found a fairly un-useable tool with a nasty nick along the leading edge.

Is this common with the "bargain tools"???

The red "V" is the nick off the center-line... no damage to the plasti dip or any other part of the "nose" of the tool

5c4cb643a5a9b_theNICK.thumb.jpg.c478ed678c66910e9023122173bbd907.jpg

Where did you get this from? a place like Harbor Freight? I've seen leather tools there before, and they are worth less than what one would pay for them there.

Bad Luck - I think your only solution is to regrind the tip and then polish up with a fine stone, emery cloth etc. If you haven't access to a grind stone then check out your nearest auto shop, engineering fabricators etc. If they do a good job offer them a free belt. That may get you further business. :)

I see you're a metal worker, so I think if you have a belt or disk grinder you should be able to regrind pretty easily. You may need to rig up a tool rest but should be easy enough.

16 hours ago, DJole said:

Where did you get this from? a place like Harbor Freight? I've seen leather tools there before, and they are worth less than what one would pay for them there.

No- I bought it from Springfield- but its way out of any 30 day return (bought it last October)- But it was my first "batch of tools" so Im trying to get a handle on the lower end expectations of things.

16 hours ago, CraftsmanUK said:

Bad Luck - I think your only solution is to regrind the tip and then polish up with a fine stone, emery cloth etc. If you haven't access to a grind stone then check out your nearest auto shop, engineering fabricators etc. If they do a good job offer them a free belt. That may get you further business. :)

Good thoughts UK- thanks for the suggestions- Ive got the tools to do it- but Im just belly-aching about not being able to use it straight-away. Seems several of my purchases in tooling have this affliction... it has put me off finishing a couple of layouts.

11 hours ago, JD62 said:

I see you're a metal worker, so I think if you have a belt or disk grinder you should be able to regrind pretty easily. You may need to rig up a tool rest but should be easy enough.

Yeah JD- I do have a metal working tool shed- but kinda like the "Use it out of the box" for my fun, relaxing stuff... I expected to polish hone and strop the edge- not RE-build the working pointy end! Ive ordered some O-1 drill rod to fab another... had to order another V gouge to use in the meantime though. 

Lesson learned- Buy better the first time!

Yea O1should work really well for that. I hope it dose not put you off  from Springfield they usually are pretty good to deal with. Good luck and have fun!

@JD62 Yeah- Im not downing Springfield- those folks did me right and well with every purchase so far and have been very responsive too when I had questions- Im a customer for life (bought the "replacement gouge" from them as well).

Annnnnnnnnnnd- got a notice this morning my O-1 is on backorder thanks to furlough, tariffs, aliens abducting cows, shortage... sheesh! I may just cobble one up from some spring steel I have lying about- I hate using "mystery metal" for tooling- Oh well- LIFE goes on!

@SilverForgeStudio Even though you are past the 30 days, I would talk to Springfield about it.  Even the plastic cap may show it was faulty from the start.  Many suppliers will work with you to resolve situations like this.  It's to their advantage.

Tom

@Northmount Roger that- it is to their advantage- but like I posted Im not down on Springfield- just the toolmaking- I know to buy the higher end now anyway. Caveat Emptor to some things.

As for the offending item- Ive already dis-assembled the little bugger for the post-mortem analysis and re-grind... and although I am kvetching about it- It may prove a bit more fruitful in the long run. It is certainly a reason to get out the thinking cap and "DIY" off of a proven concept- and perhaps, just maybe- make some improvements?

Here is what I have found-

1. the thread on the adjuster is sloppy and loose- could tighten it up and add a 16tpi thread for easier and more concise "depth-control"
  2. the base is cinched into the handle- no way to remove and replace it
  3. not easily honed/sharpened with the threads on the base of the tool- the threads are soft and I've already nicked my knuckle trying to re-grind.
  4. The handle is completely round- no flat side to add a reference plane for your hand from- and it will ROLL easily once put down. 

So I think my work is cut out for me.... pardon the pun! 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:49 AM, Northmount said:

@SilverForgeStudio Even though you are past the 30 days, I would talk to Springfield about it.  Even the plastic cap may show it was faulty from the start.  Many suppliers will work with you to resolve situations like this.  It's to their advantage.

Tom

Hey Tom you are right! We are more interested in making sure you guys and gals are successful!

@SilverForgeStudio Shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do to get you taken care of!

I'm at work right now. I'll shoot you a PM later today.