fistfullofnails

Tandy diamond awl blade a bad thing?

I've been doing this for about 3 weeks, starting with the Simpzia scratch awl that came with their cheap 24 dollar kit.  I was to ignorant to realize it really wasn't for punching holes, but that's what I used it for and bent it.  I then got the Tandy 4 in 1 awl and a Wuta diamond awl.  The needle on the Wuta awl was broken when it got here so they sent me another one free of charge.  Unfortunately, I dropped the second Wuta after about 2 hours of use and snapped it's tip off.  So then I went to the Tandy diamond awl and noticed how much harder it is to punch holes with as compared to the Wuta.  I've tried sharpening and stropping both, but I couldn't seem to improve them much.  The question I'm getting at, is the Tandy that bad of an awl, or are my mechanics or sharpening skills that bad?

I have always like the craftool pro awl. It took a bit to get it sharp, but after that it was good to go. Recently, in the last few projects I have used my newer Wuta awls. I overloaded the large one and pulled it from the handle. But, that was my fault. The leather was too stiff and thick. And, I didn't spend enough time sharpening that awl before use.

Tandy 4 in 1 is garbage.  

- Bill

The Tandy 4-in-1 awl isn't very good, but you can't do much wrong with a round awl, so just keep it for that

Instead look for a fixed blade awl. Tandy's stitching awl #31218-01 looks reasonable enough, though I haven't used it myself - perhaps someone else can comment

Traditionally you bought the blade & haft separately, then mounted & sharpened them yourself. This is a right tedious job; so see if you can find an awl that's ready made up. Shop around for something like an Osborne, which is a reasonable price

Even though an awl is ready mounted you will still probably have to do some final sharpening & stropping yourself

I do most of my sewing with a stitching chisel, and only use a diamond awl for opening up holes sometimes, or if the thickness is too much for the prongs