utah leather

advertising

I have been making belts ( mostly work belts ) for about 5 years now and I would like some good advice on the best way to advertise. I would like to be able to work from home since I can't install granite countertops much longer and I have a few health problems. I don't know much about advertising on the internet but I tried shopify and facebook and nothing happened. I am only charging $65.00 for a 1/4 in thick x 1 3/4 tall full grain leather belt made totally by hand. ( 1 at a time ) to that persons specs. I thought word of mouth would work from the guys at work that I have made belts for but no luck. I have sold approxamatly 30 belts around work so, and I had a sign on my car but still nothing, not sure what direction to turn, any advice would be great

sorry I dont know the quick guide to advertising/selling (and I've never run ads) but what I have done is spent years developing a brand around a particular passion and creating content around that passion on instagram mostly but also on youtube a bit then this past year I've been making products (different materials and forms but some are in leather) that is something that that my audience can use. because i've built all these internet friends through the content and stories I've shard and the conversations I've had, the people buy the things I make. I like to use the stories features to show the process of me making the the things and repost photos of the folks using my products. 

I've been listening to Garry Vee on youtube lately (he can be a little much but.. good insights on brand / social media) and he really emphasizes this idea of content creation. I believe his book jab, jab jab, left hook talks about the technique that I used (me not know it was a technique, just how things played out one the years). right hook meaning asking for a sale jab jab jab meaning content that engages the user. so less selling more giving. giving through the content you create.

Utah Leather

I have been watching Mary Seville.

II you are already a member of Facebook,  look up  (The Leather Tamers)  also goes by (Leather Beast) on You Tube.

She has some good ideas. and new and interesting topics every few days or so.

Join her posts and maybe she has what your looking for ? --------  Good Luck !  ________________  Wild Bill46

In that market you are competing with other mainline workwear manufacturers like Dickies and so on and they are probably offering a decent work belt at much lower cost,

I would suggest moving to a more discerning customer base in custom and standard dress belts

No idea about selling in the USA but if your looking at a local area, in the UK you can pay local papers to include both adverts and also single page brochures with their papers, quite a cheap way to get your offers into many houses with a nice coloured A4/A5 brochure

The best system I have found for getting sales (not many in leather yet, but in woodwork, metalwork or anything I can do) is to use your network. Maybe give a couple of small items to family for birthday gifts or for whatever reason, so your name gets out there.

Spread the word about what you do to family, friends, work associates, neighbours, anybody you get to talk to. I have seen some people become so over-zealous that potential customers turn off to their chatter because they know it will ALWAYS turn in to an advertising dialogue. Consider your target, tell them what you can do, then allow them to come to you. Otherwise, you might lose friends, family etc.