Travis73

My Cobra Class 4 tears up thin leather, which smaller machine should i buy?

So I saved up my pennies and bought a Cobra Class 4 and it will sew anything other than steel plate, as long as i can get it under the presser foot. However it does not do well with the lighter weight stuff. For weeks I have spent countless hours researching which smaller machine that I should buy for sewing things like wallets and lightweight bags. The choices are overwhelming and I am afraid that I will make the wrong decision and end up wasting money on something that I will not be happy with, so I figured I would turn to the experts, (you all). 

I really don't want to spend over $1500 and would be happy if I could get a machine for a fraction of that. I am not afraid to buy a used one, as long as parts are not an issue. It must have a servo motor and be able to sew slowly. I dont really care about it being able to sew the thick stuff because I have the cylinder arm machine for holsters and belts and other thick stuff. I am pretty mechanically inclined (worked as a mechanic for the Army and the Air Force) so i can likely install a servo motor and or gear reducer myself. 

I have watched a guy sew a wallet with a roller foot and I thought that looked pretty good but I am used to a walking foot machine, i am sure that I could learn to use one if they work better on multiple layers of thin leather for wallets and such. 

Is there a clear winner to the question of what machine would work best for me? A good companion machine to my Cobra, to sew the lightweight stuff that the cobra tends to tear up and mangle with its big needles. 
I appreciate any input and apologize in advance if this question has been posed to you all countless times before. 

I was considering a Consew 206RB-5, or getting an old Singer 31-15 and putting a servo in it, or maybe a Sailright Fabricator, or a Cobra Class 17, or a Juki 1508 (but that one is more that i want to spend). I am not married to any of those if there is a better (and cheaper) one that would work better for me. 

Check out the new Consew P1206rb, which sells for under one thousand dollars, plus shipping.

Thanks Wiz, That is what I am going to buy. This is the same machine right? http://zamirsew.net/consew-p1206rb-1-drop-feed-needle-feed-walking-foot-lockstitch-machine-reverse-big-bobbin/   It is listed as a Consew P1206RB-1
Is that a new model of the same machine that you were talking about? I was hoping it was just like how Smith & Wesson numbers their revolvers like a 686-4 was a newer model than a 686-3. I wanted to ask first about the dash one before ordering. Also have you ever dealt with Zamisew before?  I wonder if Toledo Industrial is shipping the same thing or if they are still selling the older model (if in fact that is the older model without the -1).

Appreciate your reply.

@Travis73 I hope you talk with Toledo before you buy. Toledo is active on this site and I believe they will give you better support after the sale. I am sure many members on this forum will attest to that. Just my 2 cents.