One more for this morning, simple messenger bag made with @AcadiaLeather double waxed black jack, these have been quite a hit lately.  This was the first time I managed to get the gusset stitched without gluing first, the clips helped a lot as did a few heavy duty staples the were removed afterwards.  

Very nice!  I like the leather, makes the owner want to use it and not worry about scuffs, etc.  I bet in ten years it will look even better.  I also have had success in stitching gussets without gluing.  It takes careful thought and execution, but is very do-able.  Hope you got a deal on the clips!  That's a lot of clips.

13 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Very nice!  I like the leather, makes the owner want to use it and not worry about scuffs, etc.  I bet in ten years it will look even better.  I also have had success in stitching gussets without gluing.  It takes careful thought and execution, but is very do-able.  Hope you got a deal on the clips!  That's a lot of clips.

Thanks, the clips were on Amazon... Don't remember how much but have more than paid for themselves lol

4 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

Cool bag! Thanks for the pics.

Thanks, and you're welcome...

Awesome bag.

That looks great @koreric75! I need to get some of that leather. I've used very little outside of vegtan and I need to branch out. It's gotta be nice not worrying about dying and finishes, not to mention some good pull-up looks effin fantastic.

Wow.. that is a great bag, looks really good.

I have a couple questions though, I have never made a bag before but would like to try one day.

1. Why did you not want to glue it ?

2. What does 'pull up' mean ? (I have seen this in previous posts but not sure what it means)

Thanks for your time :)

Pull up is when you bend or twist the leather and it discolors with the distortions but returns with some time or some rubbing. It shows age extremely well.

I'm waiting to see about the glue questions...inquiring minds want to know!

18 hours ago, Rbarleatherworks said:

Wow.. that is a great bag, looks really good.

I have a couple questions though, I have never made a bag before but would like to try one day.

1. Why did you not want to glue it ?

2. What does 'pull up' mean ? (I have seen this in previous posts but not sure what it means)

Thanks for your time :)

Thank you, 

I prefer on this application to not use glue or the basting style tape for the seams.  For a turned bag, i have a hard time getting the glue/tape line just right, so when the bag is turned right side out after sewing sometimes there is a little glue or tape visible.  The last bag before this i was able to get it right, but i also added a welt to the seam so that helped some (mainly my glue line was wider and i had the welt to cover it), but was inherently more tedious and took significantly more time.  Also for the oil tanned leather, especially some like this double waxed, glue doesn't work well on the grain side at all (even after roughing, i had a time getting the pockets stuck down before stitching) and the seams will slip if not held very closely to the presser foot.

For the second question,  @battlemunky  covered it, if you're still curious...https://www.leather-dictionary.com/index.php/Pull_up_leather_-_Greased_leather_-_Waxed_leather_-_Oiled_leather

Edited by koreric75
hit the button too soon

Looks great.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:25 PM, battlemunky said:

Pull up is when you bend or twist the leather and it discolors with the distortions but returns with some time or some rubbing. It shows age extremely well.

I'm waiting to see about the glue questions...inquiring minds want to know!

Ahhhhhh ... awesome thanks Battlemunky ... it all makes sense now :)

9 hours ago, koreric75 said:

Thank you, 

I prefer on this application to not use glue or the basting style tape for the seams.  For a turned bag, i have a hard time getting the glue/tape line just right, so when the bag is turned right side out after sewing sometimes there is a little glue or tape visible.  The last bag before this i was able to get it right, but i also added a welt to the seam so that helped some (mainly my glue line was wider and i had the welt to cover it), but was inherently more tedious and took significantly more time.  Also for the oil tanned leather, especially some like this double waxed, glue doesn't work well on the grain side at all (even after roughing, i had a time getting the pockets stuck down before stitching) and the seams will slip if not held very closely to the presser foot.

For the second question,  @battlemunky  covered it, if you're still curious...https://www.leather-dictionary.com/index.php/Pull_up_leather_-_Greased_leather_-_Waxed_leather_-_Oiled_leather

Thank you so much Koreric75 I appreciate the time you took to share that information with me :)