Rodeoman

Oiling Leather mainly saddles

Alright here's a question that came to me in the grocery store of all places! As best I've heard olive oil is the best option for conditioning/oiling leather particularly saddles yet, we all know supply and demand has made olive oil definitely not the cheapest oil to choose from. So my question here is what about cotton seed oil? I go to Texas Tech University in Lubbock which is surrounded by fields of cotton, so since cotton seed oil benefits my area I'd love for this to work. It is supposed to be growing to reach more markets but what if this could be a newfound market?

cottonseed oil.jpg

31 minutes ago, Rodeoman said:

So my question here is what about cotton seed oil? I go to Texas Tech University in Lubbock which is surrounded by fields of cotton, so since cotton seed oil benefits my area I'd love for this to work.

Since cottonseed has been around as long as the wild west, do you think someone may have tried this before? When I was a kid, one of my friends used olive oil instead of Neatsfoot oil on his baseball glove, and the thing turned the most awful gray color. I think that vegetable oils have a shelf-life that may affect their performance. But don't let me discourage what you want to try, I could certainly be wrong about this oil.

4 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Since cottonseed has been around as long as the wild west, do you think someone may have tried this before? When I was a kid, one of my friends used olive oil instead of Neatsfoot oil on his baseball glove, and the thing turned the most awful gray color. I think that vegetable oils have a shelf-life that may affect their performance. But don't let me discourage what you want to try, I could certainly be wrong about this oil.

Well yes I would assume someone has maybe done it before so I'm hoping to find out here.

17 minutes ago, Rodeoman said:

Well yes I would assume someone has maybe done it before so I'm hoping to find out here.

Maybe you could try it out and report back. Cottonseed oil is not so common around here, so it might be up to you to give it a shot.

24 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Maybe you could try it out and report back. Cottonseed oil is not so common around here, so it might be up to you to give it a shot.

Planning on doing so in the next day or two