jwhit

new to sewing with machine

i just bought a ga5-1 same as cowboy 105 i think  and having few issues ,1st is that feed dogs destroy my veg tan also 

not sure how to get tension correct seems like i am running top tension way to tight so it does not leave loops at bottom

maybe i should back off lower tension on bobbin and start over on top tension? i am using 277 tread on 8oz veg tan 2 layers

for holsters. i may have ti go back to hand sewing i  hope i didnt waste my money on machine 

please offer advise 

thanks  

You probably didn't waste your money. Machines are good for some things. Not for others.

For diagnosing your stitch it would be helpful to see top and bottom, straight and around corners, for the thread/needle/material you intend to use. Please post pics.

A couple of pictures of your thread path, how you installed the bobbin, the needle size and the thread size you are using would be of a great help to sort out you problem.

kgg

here are photos of back

abc.jpg

cde.jpg

This result is the nature of bottom feed machines with aggressive teeth. That is their only way to move leather under the heavy pressure on the presser foot. Sometimes the marks can be smoothed out with a modeling spoon or bone folder.

Reducing the bobbin tension will be a good first step that will allow for less top tension. Moving up one needle size pokes a bigger hole that is easier to pull the lockstitch knots up into. After you get the best knot placement with the least thread tension that still produces a decent stitch lay, try backing off the pressure screw over the foot. There will eventually come a point where the leather lifts with the ascending needle and that is where skipped stitches start happening. Take it to that point and add back enough pressure to keep the foot down all the time.