chrisash

Problem with 3D print

Hi folks

Using Fusion 360 Arial at 10mm height for a stamp using ABS and Cura 3 for slicing

As you can see from the image the top of the letters is not level, I know I can file it smooth but is there a better cura setting to level it off

Black stamp.jpg

Hi Chris

I quite like the textured look, but can understand the query., I would look at gently using a emery board flat on the bench, and carefully rubbing the stamp.

Very best regards

H

:spoton:

I have to add that I am looking to learn to 3d print sometime soon, and am amazed at how well it has gone for you over the last couple of months, you give me hope.

H

Wot he says; I'd go for the easy way. double-tape some wet & dry to a board and rub the stamp over it, using a circular motion. Use 600 grade w&d, wet. You could also use a marker on the letters and when the marker ink is gone off them you'll know they should all be even.

I'd try what fred suggested, fine wet and dry used wet which should give a smooth finish. You could try applying car body filler to the surface first if you want it absolutely smooth when you sand it. Filing and using coarse papers can often leave these surfaces furry at the edges.

Hello everyone, new here but i been 3d printing stamps for a while before I found this forum so I will try to shine in. I think what you see on the print is just the limitation of the 3d printer, letters are always tricky, they don't print right when they are small and they deform if you put to much pressure on them when you stamp. The only setting that I can think might help is ironing and that might smooth out the print on the top layers.

18 hours ago, chrisash said:

Hi folks

Using Fusion 360 Arial at 10mm height for a stamp using ABS and Cura 3 for slicing

As you can see from the image the top of the letters is not level, I know I can file it smooth but is there a better cura setting to level it off

Black stamp.jpg

You would probably do a bit better with PLA. As to the Curra settings possibly could be better but what are your settings?You may be able to copy and paste. Although I would normally get a better print result I have found that some sanding with a fine sandpaper, that white stuff helps and when it is smoothish finish it off with some firm rubbing flat down on paper. I normally use the back of the sandpaper. It can get pretty shiny.

DSC04276_resize.JPG

Also try angling the job at 45 degrees on the curry platform and slow down the speed. If you are running a heated bed on glass you may be able to put the letters face down on the glass for a while with a little weight on top. I think the sanding works pretty quick and easy though.;) Each block only takes about 2 minutes.

Thanks for the reply Rocky

I did try the same design with , PLA, Nylon, PETG and ABS and ABS came out the sharpest letters as above

Not sure what you mean by angling the job at 45 degrees on the curry platform can you elaborate please

Using heated bed and have Ironing turned on now with another test piece ,but whilst a small increase for the better still not right

Agree printing letters down on glass would solve the problem, and also sanding which i have tried, i feel it should be able to do it right with settings

3printz ABS.curaprofile

50 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Not sure what you mean by angling the job at 45 degrees on the curry platform can you elaborate please

I meant to say Curra platform. You can angle the job in all sorts of ways on the platform and if you rotate it to 45 degrees you will find that the print lines will travel along straight with the job and I have found that this tends to give a smoother end result. See the angle in picture below. I can not open the curaprofile you have put in above. Could you just copy and paste them here ?

DSC04205_resize.JPG

Thanks Rocky but how do i get a backup out of cura the export does not appear to give anything out apart from the note i enclosed and the backup just seems to reinstall my profiles

I feel a bit stupid asking but not obvious to me

Hi Rockytry this one

ABSprofile.curaprofile

I like to use Simplify 3D.  The inputs are almost infinitely adjustable and the results are great.

I'll second what everyone else has been said.

Print 100% infill, lightly wet sand with fine grit face-down on your quartz slab (or whatever you're using for stamping) to flatten out any imperfections.

The potential for 3d printing in leatherwork is exciting. I've been playing with scanning my patterns and tracing them in Adobe Illustrator. Then adding my own templates to it (think custom versions of Tandy Craftaids). 

No rule against combining the two artforms. Below is a pict of a 3D-printed brand sewn into a circular leather frame I made for a customer's luggage.

3d_Leather_Brand.jpg