iknowit101

Tire soles where to buy them?

Hi All,
       I am looking to buy "tire soles" to fix some shoes and make me sandals and whatever else shoes related. Some of you may think I am crazy but I am an old man and when I was growing up in the 70's we used to make sandals and shoes from old tires ( My father was a shoemaker)
I am green (big on recycling) and not only that, once you put tires soles on a pair of shoes they will last for ever.
So, does anyone knows where to get them? I have Google it and came up with one place Laura Zabo but her prices are high and the soles very small, they did not work for what I want. Other places make shoes, I am looking for soles  only.
Trying to cut tires is hard, I have try  and in Boston MA, I don't have access to pick the right tire to cut it myself. most tires are radials and have Stainless steel wire mesh inside and not worth trying to cut them.
Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I also share your interest   Mostly for shoesoling.  Most race track tires are non

radial as are motorcycle,  atv tires and trailer tires.  Speedway Motors sells tire

groovers.  I have a dream of taking tire treads  remolding with heat and pressure

to make soles for shoes and sandals. Keep me informed if you can.  tx Lynn

i am interested big time, but in the UK... anyone got any suppliers.

H

3 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

i am interested big time, but in the UK... anyone got any suppliers.

Harry, Algeos carries a tyre-print soling material that looks pretty good but I've never used it. They also have some other handy stuff, like Aquilim.

Otherwise maybe head down your local tyre centre with a pack of beer or donuts? They have to pay to get rid of the "dead" ones so as long as you convince them you're not going to sell them or put them on your car I think they'll be happy to offload as many on you as possible. There's videos on YouTube how to salvage tyre tread for soling.

12 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Harry, Algeos carries a tyre-print soling material that looks pretty good but I've never used it. They also have some other handy stuff, like Aquilim.

Otherwise maybe head down your local tyre centre with a pack of beer or donuts? They have to pay to get rid of the "dead" ones so as long as you convince them you're not going to sell them or put them on your car I think they'll be happy to offload as many on you as possible. There's videos on YouTube how to salvage tyre tread for soling.

Sounds like a good idea. Do I have to share the donuts?

:spoton:

37 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

Do I have to share the donuts?

Hey, however you want to entice the burly men is your business Harry ;):lol:

I did find this    

make friends with the manager of a tire store.  He may be willing to set you up with the occasional used bias-ply tire that comes into the shop, especially if you grease him with a lunch, beverage or coin of the realm.    An auto recycler might be a source, as well.

Old fashioned bias ply tires are still sold for classic cars, and that type tire can be cut easily with a band saw.