Jason046

Best stuff to loosen and condition leather

I was interested in what everyone was using. I have been making straps and suspenders. I finish with resolene to protect it as they are used outdoors in the elements. They come out pretty stiff though. Have been using pure neatsfoot oil but dosent seem to soften it up much. Is there a better product for this

What type of dye are you using? I switched from Fiebings basic dye to Fiebings professional oil dye and that alone gave me more flexibility. I stopped using Resolene a while ago because my last gift my father in law joked that he thought I used plastic instead of leather. The pro oil dye doesn't bleed after it's been dried and buffed and for a sealant I use mink oil paste with a tiny bit of bees wax. It's waterproof enough that water beads up on the surface and just rolls right off the piece and much more flexible than anything I've ever resolene'd.

Thanks for the input. Yea, we use resolene and I kinda of see that plastic look too. I get worried cause our stuff is used outdoor and in tough conditions so scared to go away from resolene but I might give that a try. It just seems like it's hard and rigid and takes awhile to break in. Was wondering if there was something I could do afterwards to loosen . Thanks again

I hear you on wanting it to survive in outdoor environments. I live in the New Hampshire white mountain range, we beat the daylights out of our gear. Rain, ice, snow, heat and submergence, sometimes all in the same day that's not even counting how many times a strap or piece get's dragged across a rock or between bush. Resolene is a great sealer but it's too rigid. Find a dye that won't scuff or bleed and then just condition it with mink, neats, tallow or lard mixed with a tiny bit of bee's wax and it's waterproof enough to scuba dive. 

The current stuff I'm using is just a tin of "Peak" that I picked up for 3 bucks at a local store but I also have a blend mixed with a little bee's wax. If you go to a soap supplier online bee's wax is like 10 bucks a pound. There are better mink oil products than Peak, it just happened to be on an end cap when I was buying a pair of boots so I gave it a run. Experiment with blends to get what you like, too much wax is hard to spread and even when rubbed in makes the leather feel tacky or skippy when run your hand across it, very little is needed in a blend and depending on the feel your looking for maybe none at all. I use mink oil on my boots and I'm not afraid to walk through puddles all winter long so it holds up alone for sure.

Edited by CelticPrint

2 hours ago, Mark842 said:

I use Obenauf's. Google it...great stuff.

Just added it to my Amazon wish list, 5 stars out of over 1,500 reviews...with that many people they must be on to something.. Thank you.