HeatherLeather

Where to buy dyed veg tan?

Beginner wants to know where to buy colored and thin veg tan leather. I know Rocky Mountain but seems a little expensive. I tried Springfield but I think they only have original colored tooling sides.

Just wonder if you guys know any other places selling dyed veg tan except RM. If not, I will go for Rocky Mountain.

Call the Hide House in Napa

I second JLS' recommendation of Wickett for lighter weights of drum dyed veg tan.  They will have the widest variety of colors to choose from.  I will say however, that their veg tan can be a challenge to carve.  It gums up my swivel knife really quickly.  But it is beautiful leather.  

23 hours ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

Here is some of the drum dyed we have...it will tool, but it just doesn't take water as well. 
https://www.springfieldleather.com/Leather/Hermann-Oak-Leather/By-the-Sq-Ft

Thank you! Can you make the drum dyed thinner, like 3oz?   And excuse me, I am not a native speaker, what does “it will tool” mean?

20 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I second JLS' recommendation of Wickett for lighter weights of drum dyed veg tan.  They will have the widest variety of colors to choose from.  I will say however, that their veg tan can be a challenge to carve.  It gums up my swivel knife really quickly.  But it is beautiful leather.  

Thanks, I will explore more of their website

On 2/1/2019 at 3:37 PM, HeatherLeather said:

Thank you! Can you make the drum dyed thinner, like 3oz?   And excuse me, I am not a native speaker, what does “it will tool” mean?

Thanks, I will explore more of their website

We can split it to the weight you prefer.

Tooling was meaning.

FB_Cover.jpg.ac703dd90c37ff730698d7b221e21538.jpg

On 1/31/2019 at 2:01 PM, TonySFLDLTHR said:

Here is some of the drum dyed we have...it will tool, but it just doesn't take water as well. 
https://www.springfieldleather.com/Leather/Hermann-Oak-Leather/By-the-Sq-Ft

what do you mean take water as well, like wet forming? or do you mean hold up in wet conditions 

On 2/27/2019 at 1:08 AM, Treesner said:

what do you mean take water as well, like wet forming? or do you mean hold up in wet conditions 

Just wetting the leather before trying to tool it. If you are just spraying it, it will not soak up as well as say Natural Veg will.

Edited by TonySFLDLTHR