I was in a Tandy store a month or so ago. Hadn't been in about a year.

I got all excited because they had brought back "Neat Lac".  Has anyone else used this yet?

Because unless I'm losing my marbles I don't think this is the same as the old Neat Lac they used to carry.

Old Neat Lac was thicker and had a much different smell. The new product is thin like Resolene and behaves and smells very similar.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

This is not the same Neat-Lac that we all knew and loved, this version is water-based lacquer that does not give the same results as what we got from the original.  The original Neat-Lac is still available but just under the original name that the manufacturer had for it all these years - ClearLac.  You can purchase ClearLac from Springfield Leather.

I know Springfield has the "old faithful".

I guess I need to go ahead and order some. I was just very disappointed.

I was highly disappointed when Tandy discontinued the Neat-Lac but once I found ClearLac and found out that it is the original Neat-Lac I jumped on it and haven't looked back.  I love that stuff; great finish and the finest resist.

3 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

I found ClearLac and found out that it is the original Neat-Lac I jumped on it and haven't looked back.  I love that stuff; great finish and the finest resist.

I'm on Springfield's page now and can't seem to find it.

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, darkmatter35 said:

Barry King sells Wyo sheen

Springfield is vary helpful if you call them

John

Thanks!

the fact it is part of their Eco-foo-foo line should have been the first clue. Expect it to be discontinued in a year or too now that the word is out that it is just another acrylic in neat-lac clothing.

Edit:

Springfield says Clear Lac has been discontinued.

Ordered through Barry King!

I tried the new neat lac the other week.  I had the same experience.  It reminded me of Resolene.   I like it a little better than Resolene as I find Resolene bubbles or streaks too easily and works best if sprayed.  I think the new Neat Lac applied better with an applicator than Resolene does - but the end result looked very similar to me.  I am assuming that the new Neat Lac is an acrylic as it looks like one - but I don't find any documentation on Tandy site stating as much.   In general I use Tan Kote most often and will probably continue to do so.  When I want an acrylic finish though - I would consider the new Neat Lac over Resolene.   I have some Angelus acrylic finish and I should compare it to that sometime.  The new Neat Lac may have its place - but not as a replacement to the old Neat Lac.

20 hours ago, DavidRM said:

It reminded me of Resolene.   I like it a little better than Resolene as I find Resolene bubbles or streaks too easily and works best if sprayed. 

That was my thought as well.

I do like Resolene. And I'll end up using both eventually. 

Between Leather Balm, Resolene, Gan Kote, "Neat Lax" and Wyosheen I have all my finishing needs covered.