MillennialProl

Sewing Machine Stitching Issue

Howdy,

Long time prowler, first time poster.

I'm having an issue with my sewing machine. Im runnin' a Singer 111W155 industrial walking-foot machine and for some reason the bottom stitch will bunch. I've add a picture for reference. Is this a problem with my machines timing? Or have I set the tension incorrectly? The top stitch looks fantastic. Also I notice that in the areas where this occurs the  machine tends to buck and needs a little extra gusto to take the next step.  

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

20190131_202303.jpg

There is a bunch of stuff you need to check. Uwe Grosse has a excellent You tube video on

timing Consew 225.    Check your bottom tension using a tiny screwdriver to lift the

front of tension flap on hook, just enough to blowout any debris. Than check if tension

increases.  Also the hook basket may have debris and thread pcs under basket.  This is

fairly easy if you have done it dozens of times.  Don't lose those tiny screws. To get

the best help take pictures of thread path, and hook with needle bar at top position

Also clean tension discs.  I'm sure more help is coming.

What LJK said - Plus -- If that bottom right birdsnest is where you started, you might not be holding tension on the top and bottom threads as you start.
Get your piece ready to sew and before you step on the treadle, pull both threads out towards the back and hold them snug as you sew the first 3 or 4 stitches. See if that helps.
As for the top right corner.. when you make a right turn, stop at the stitch before it and use the hand wheel to make the last stitch on that edge. As the needle comes up from it, stop with the needle still in the leather, on the upstroke. lift the presser foot slightly and turn the leather to tht new position. That will stop the angled thread that I see up there.
FYI, the bucking is probably from trying to force the needle through the tangled mess.

What size thread is it and what size needle?
Finally, what's the total thickness of the leather?

I have had a similar issue in the past and it ended up being burrs on the needle. They weren't obvious just looking at the needle but I put it under magnification and could see them. I changed the needle and the problem went away. As mentioned previously needle size can have an impact. May not be your issue but you can always hope its something that simple.

I think the timing is fine, the arrows on the belt cylinder match.
I cleaned out the areas you told me, ijk, and changed out the needle. Problem solved, thanks so much!
Also thanks TomG for the tips about the thread and when to lift the foot.

I've only had this machine for 5 or so months and I'm still learning new things about it all the time. Before this I'd only had experience with a cheap brothers home machine.

Thanks again for all the help!