Nbocc

Cylinder head machine for sewing pouches on heavy Dacron material

Hello all

I have been frequenting this form for a while and decided to finally sign up. I would like to thank everyone for all the information I have learned from reading as a guest. 

I am looking into buying a cylinder head sewing machine that is capable of sewing many heavy layers of dacron sail cloth. At times, I could be sewing up to a half inch thick of material. The reason I am looking for a cylinder head machine is because I am getting into attaching pouches onto the existing products I am making. I understand that there are several machines capable of doing this. I am a complete noob and I keep getting deeper and deeper into searching for the proper machine. I am hoping one of you can lend some knowledge on the type of machine I may be looking for. I would like to buy the cheapest machine possible, that would also work for this job. I understand I am most likely going to spend over $1000 even if I buy a used machine. Here in NY it is not common to find that many used cylinder head machines that serve this purpose.

I will be sewing pouches as tight as 2 1/2” deep, so the head must be capable of getting inside this small area. It also must be powerful enough to attach 5 layers of 12 oz cloth to an additional 8, so 13 total layers of material. I plan on sewing with 138 thread. Here are some pictures of my products. The bags are made for fishing in the northeast. Hoping to learn from all of you and to be able to contribute to the site as well. Thanking you all in advance,

Nick 

40CD051E-AE62-4C63-8860-C6A3019A0132.thumb.jpeg.3b276d7621ee7d26981798cead5dbe18.jpeg

Having trouble uploading pictures as is says I am only allowed up to 1.46 mb. Not very tech savvy but will try to figure it out so I can show some stuff to you guys. I’m sure it’s very different from what most of you are familiar with but maybe you will all find some interest in my hobby!

We've had this discussion on the forums here for awhile. Narrow cylinder arm machine that can sew heavier thread. There are not many out there.

The most common narrow cylinder machine is the Pfaff 335 and various clones. I have the Mauser version. It struggles with 69 thread on occasion. Maybe 92 if I plead with it. 138 is right out.

The Adler 669 seems to be the one everyone agrees is narrow but can handle heavier thread, so that's what I ended up getting. It just landed in my shop and I'm waiting on some backordered parts, but its very nice and can sew 138 or maybe even 207 with tweaks. It's expensive though.

A Juki DSC-246 is a beefier narrow cylinder machine but they are infrequently available used and new they are north of $4k. There are some clones out there but...well let's just say I will not go down that road again. 

So there it is from my recent foray into narrow arm machines. I sew mostly heavy nylons and other synthetics with some leather trims. It seems the machine choices out there are "Heavy duty, narrow, or cheaper...pick two"

What back ordered parts if may ask??

glenn

1 hour ago, shoepatcher said:

What back ordered parts if may ask??

glenn

I ordered it from Campbell-Randall with a binder package (carrier plate, feed dogs, feet, etc) but some of those parts are on a long back order from DA, so I had them send out the standard parts in the meantime. Those should arrive any day. Also ordered the rear motor mount that usually comes with the upgraded models, this will allow me to mount the motor above the table with a very short belt. Also scored a 40mm pulley for the servo.

It's a damn nice machine. Can't wait to actually use it!

The half inch thickness is going to be a problem on a narrow (~2.5") cylinder arm lockstitch machine. Most are not designed to sew over 3/8 of an inch. High sewers need longer needles, like system 190, or 214, or 7x3.

A post machine can sew along the bottom of a bag in any direction if the material goes over the post. I know of a very narrow snout post machine (and cylinder arm) that was made by Puritan. They are used to sew Redwing shoes and golf bags. The only drawback is that Puritans are chainstitch machines. You should check around to see if any turn up on Craigslist in your State.

15 hours ago, Nbocc said:

Having trouble uploading pictures as is says I am only allowed up to 1.46 mb.

Check this post

Tom