thatgriffguy

Need adhesive to hold leather patches on hats..

Hey Guys, I am adding some leather patches to structured trucker style hats and Need some help on what to use to hold them to the hats. I will be sewing the patches after they are stuck to the hats but need them to hold while i manipulate the hat. There are some companies selling leather patch hats without sewing and supposedly they are holding up well. Would this be a type of heat applied adhesive?

Branded Bills 'Texas Patriot' Leather Patch Hat Flat Trucker - OSFA/Heather Grey/Black

Personally, I would be trying contact adhesive in the 1st instance.

Apply some to the patch and some to the hat, allow it to tack off for ~10 minutes, then position the patch exactly where you want it. Allow it to set off further with some pressure on the patch for a few minutes, or tap it down with a flat faced hammer. Stitch!

You can buy adhesive material that interfaces between two cloth items with heat from a press or an iron. If the patch has a plain back, lay it ot top of the interfacing and iron it until it has stuck to it. Cut around the patch and peel off the backing. Then position it on the hat and use a small ironing board to apply heat to the front of the hat over the patch. Most hats are flexible enough to let you iron on a patch.

If this is too much hassle, buy a roll of double sided 3M Venture Tape from Wawak.com and just tape the patch in place until you get it to the patcher or post machine. I use this tape all the time to hold patches in place on hats and vests. It is also perfect for positioning zippers in coats before sewing them in.