thatgriffguy

Need adhesive to hold leather patches on hats..

Hey Guys, I am adding some leather patches to structured trucker style hats and Need some help on what to use to hold them to the hats. I will be sewing the patches after they are stuck to the hats but need them to hold while i manipulate the hat. There are some companies selling leather patch hats without sewing and supposedly they are holding up well. Would this be a type of heat applied adhesive?

hat glue.png

Ordinary contact adhesive should do the job. If sticking to the grain side of leather, roughen up the glueing area with 60 grade sand paper first

I sew mine on by hand, quick and easy to do. I have read on another forum where someone  stated they just used contact cement and have had no problems, but I just don't trust gluing alone, which is why I sew them. I am not saying it won't work, but I am think about years down the road, adding the stitching  around it just makes me feel better.

Karina

A old Singer Patcher is built for the job or even the new chinese tin copies at about £150 on EBAY

Edited by chrisash

50 minutes ago, veedub3 said:

I sew mine on by hand, quick and easy to do. I have read on another forum where someone  stated they just used contact cement and have had no problems, but I just don't trust gluing alone, which is why I sew them. I am not saying it won't work, but I am think about years down the road, adding the stitching  around it just makes me feel better.

Karina

The OP does say he'll be sewing them, the glue is just to hold them whilst he does so

14 minutes ago, fredk said:

The OP does say he'll be sewing them, the glue is just to hold them whilst he does so

Clearly missed that part. Doing too many things at once I guess, I just looked at the picture he posted and saw that it wasn't sewn and off my mind went...

Karina

Edited by veedub3

Thanks for the replies, I use contact cement to hold my round and square patches but have request for odd shaped patches that there’s just not a good looking way to sew. There has to be a way as there are several companies doing it. The issue is figuring out how! 

Try a small bottle of Renia  Aquilim GL. It's available at Rocky Mountain Leather Supply. It is a rubber cement (neoprene). I have not used the GL but I have used other Renia glues and I love them. Email RM Leather and ask them about the permanency of the glue before you buy because it doesn't state on the page if it's a permanent glue. It is water based.

Here's the product page for it: https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/dyes-stains-finishes/products/renia-aquilim-gl-rubber-cement-water-based-glue?variant=12107727044728

You do not want to use a water based glue, it needs to be water proof. Even if the patch is sewn after gluing, there is a real chance the wearer will sweat or be caught in the rain. Any non waterproof glue will melt and make a nasty mess out of the hat. I would just use a small spot of rubber cement in the center to hold position and then sew the patch on.

36 minutes ago, papadan said:

You do not want to use a water based glue, it needs to be water proof. Even if the patch is sewn after gluing, there is a real chance the wearer will sweat or be caught in the rain. Any non waterproof glue will melt and make a nasty mess out of the hat. I would just use a small spot of rubber cement in the center to hold position and then sew the patch on.

That’s exactly what I am doing currently. 

Water based does not always mean water soluble. Most acrylic paints are water based but will not be soluble in water once dry and cured, same for many glues. I use a water based PVA glue which is water and weather resistant when dry.

Adhesive . I use 3 things for quick stick for hold in place before stitch .

Small dab of glue-stick hot gun, and use the softer silicone sticks  . . different sizes of, Basting Taps  . .  Loctite, spray adhesive #200 /middleweight bonding

I use double sided Leather Tape from Wawak.com. It comes in 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" and 1" width by 60 yards. I apply it across the length of rectangular patches, at the top and bottom. For round patches I use a criss-cross with the tape, peeling the backing off the first piece before laying the second one down. The tape isn't affected by the elements any more than the iron-on glue patches.

I use a post machine to sew patches onto hats.

after looking up every different way, I ended up using e6000 glue and made a radius clamping caul to hold it in shape to set up. E6000 waterproof and doesn't bleed through to the inside like aqualim did to me. Recommend this setup if you want to get it done without stitching or you have an odd design

received_451385042232043.jpeg

received_2393905290924375.jpeg

I used to embroider hundreds of those caps with up to 15 colours and sell them at about £10 each, and they look far better than badges, I would suggest you look around your area for a embroidery company  or t-shirt company who also often have embroidery and get a far more professional look

If you're still in need of some advice, I can help!
When it comes to securing leather patches on hats, using a strong adhesive can be a good option. You might want to consider trying a fabric glue or a leather adhesive specifically designed for bonding leather to fabric. These types of adhesives are often durable and can provide a strong hold.
By the way, if you're into custom headwear, Matohash.com offers a collection of Custom Bucket Hats that you might find interesting. They have a range of stylish bucket hats that can be customized to suit your personal style.

Edited by inderkumar

Whats the best way to apply glue and adhesives to the patch before apply to the hat ? I need the corners to stick well but also do not want the glue to be seeping out on the hat thanks in advanced?