paulamoose

Makers stamps, who’s the best?

Hi everyone,

I need to know who to buy steel makers stamps from. I just purchased some from Grey Ghost and I was very disappointed. I didn’t realize they were plastic when I bought them, though it does explain the cheaper price. If you don’t have a death grip on those suckers they’ll fly right across the room and good luck getting a good burnish on them. They look nice but it reflects the energy back up rather than to the leather and it bounces right out of your hand. And of course the larger the logo the harder it is to get a good impression.

Anyway,  I really don’t want to waste more money so I need to know where to go to get some nice quality custom makers stamps in steel.

I have ordered from LW Leather and been very happy. I have a basic brass stamp with screw threads plus a handle for it. My next stamp I will order with a heat iron to see how that works. Calvin (man behind the site) also confirmed that all stamps come with the standard threading, so the handle and heat irons will work with any stamps ordered from him.

I have abused my stamp, warming it over open flame, used it under my arbour press, and have not seen a single sign of wear yet. Very happy with the quality - and pricing.

I'll tag this here too, pretty good thread about different mfg and links to their sites...personally i've used AM Leathercraft (good price, long wait for shipping to states) and leatherstampmaker (highdesertCNC) good price and quick shipping for US

Being north o' the border, your shipping maybe more than many of us in the states.  In that case, unless you're in a real hurry - I like Alex' work (his link is below, am-leathercraft).

I have one of those "plastic" stamps. 

I had the same problem when using a mallet.

Do you have an arbor press?

I use an arbor press and it works great.

First, make sure that your leather is properly cased, to get a good crisp impression.

Set up the lever on the press so that it is horizontal when it contacts the stamp.

I put all of my weight on it (since I don't have much strength any more) for about 10-15 seconds. 

I haven't really experimented with the time factor.  Five seconds may work, I don't know.

Impressions come out deep and crisp.  

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

I have several custom stamps and a few dozen production stamps form Sergey Neskromniy, also @arbalet12 on leatherworker.net. Great price, good communication to get what you want, only downside for me is the distance and time to deliver, but that's not his fault.

I will buy more from him when I need them.

I got mine from Phillipsengraving.com very fast turnaround and very happy with the stamp.

Todd

Alex is da man.  Have we not seen the middle link below my posts?@! ;)  Very 3-D.. not like that "line art" you usually see.  

thing1.jpg

This is taken with the light straight down on the center of the design.  Design is about 2 3/8" x 1 5/8"

thing2.jpg

And this is the SAME piece  of leather, pic taken with light moved to the left, so you can see the 3D effect it leaves (the light source will ALWAYS be right, no matter where the leather is -- just like any tooling present).

Pay no attention to the flakes of white stuff I knocked onto the leather taking this pic ;)

And the last one is less than half the size of this one... about 7/8" x 7/8".

Alex made me BOTH of these for less than some make ONE simple line art thing.. which I could do with a swivel knife!

thing3.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

My stamp is from Grey Ghost as well. The delrin polymer is plenty strong enough. As mentioned, the leather needs to be properly cased.

It's 1-inch across, so I used a dead blow hammer to get my impressions.  

RoadAgent_Stamp.jpg

On 2/2/2019 at 4:23 PM, filipblaauw said:

I have ordered from LW Leather and been very happy.

I have few made by LW Leather too , all under $30 and i am very happy  with  them. I guess his CNC is as good as everybody's  else out there