GregS

Hello from Maryland

Hello folks.  Newbie here and obviously from Maryland, USA.  I'm a computer guy, I'm going after my Masters in a tech field, many of my hobbies are messing with Raspberry Pi computers and playing around with Linux.  I'm getting a bit burned out and I started looking for a hobby that I can do and kind of unplug while doing it.  Kind of ironic that YouTube videos led me here.

I just started this week and here's my first projects.  First was the stitching pony in the background made from scrap wood in the basement.  The veg tanned piece was just to give stitching a shot.  Turned out to be the perfect size for my thread scissors, strictly coincidental.  The black piece is what I wanted to make first, it's just to organize the multitool, pen and flashlight that I carry every day.  I'm happy with how it turned out, but I did learn that I'm not a fan of that thin leather, it's a little stretchy for my tastes.

organizer1.jpg

Hello Greg! I am a newbie as well welcome!

Hello greg i am new too here i used to be a computer guy too 

1 thing i would have made the stiching abit closer to the edge but thats just me probably i am wrong and someone qualified can give a better answer 

Edited by charlesfalzon

Whats up Greg! Norfolk VA fellow here- Welcome the the madness! Wife and I head to DC/Baltimore some in the warmer months- Im pretty new as well here. Looks good for a start!

If you havent found Nigel Armistead- look his saddle stitching vids up- Be safe and as always- have a great day!

Kerri

12 hours ago, charlesfalzon said:

1 thing i would have made the stiching abit closer to the edge but thats just me probably i am wrong and someone qualified can give a better answer 

If I had planned on using it for anything other than stitching practice, I'd have planned out the stitching better.  It really only ended up holding my scissors because I noticed that they fit. 

Next project is a wallet, I think.  Or maybe a belt.

On 03/02/2019 at 9:04 PM, GregS said:

If I had planned on using it for anything other than stitching practice, I'd have planned out the stitching better.  It really only ended up holding my scissors because I noticed that they fit. 

Next project is a wallet, I think.  Or maybe a belt.

I have never made anything so bought the books recommended by members here but i am trying to setup my sewing machine first and will be practising like you

Well, next project ended up being a cup sleeve.  I wanted to give a baseball stitch a try.  It's ok, but I'll probably take it apart and re-stitch it.  I'm not happy with it, I don't like that I couldn't get the edges to line up.  I also didn't get the stitches tight enough.  I also will likely stamp it next time.

cup_sleeve.thumb.jpg.13030890a4c10407d2fe28fe8814163b.jpg

Personally, I think the thickness of your leather is your biggest problem. Its going to be very difficult to get a tight seam with that weight leather. All my baseball stitch attempts (both of them) have been on lighter weight and softer leathers.

Also the slanted stitch-line dos not assist you with aligning the edges.

This might need its own thread rather hijacking another thread, possibly?

Edited by Rockoboy
Question

Welcome!  I'm a Marylander and newbie to leather as well.  Looks like you're off to a good start!

Welcome to the madness!  Prepare your check book to be assaulted in ways you can't yet imagine :)

2 hours ago, Smartee said:

Welcome!  I'm a Marylander and newbie to leather as well.  Looks like you're off to a good start!

Joppa?  I'm just up the road a bit, I'm North of Bel Air, in Street.

10 minutes ago, GregS said:

Joppa?  I'm just up the road a bit, I'm North of Bel Air, in Street.

Not far!  I used to live in Street and my parents still do :)

5 minutes ago, Smartee said:

Not far!  I used to live in Street and my parents still do :)

Cool, small world.  So where do you get your leather stuff?  Are there any stores other than Tandy in Essex?

57 minutes ago, GregS said:

Cool, small world.  So where do you get your leather stuff?  Are there any stores other than Tandy in Essex?

That's the closest place I've found.  Also use e-bay and Amazon.

I picked up some snaps and wanted to give them a shot.  I made up a couple of earbud holders.  Not really a lot of work, but I used my hole punches, stained the darker one and installed some snaps.  My daughter loved them.

EarbudHolder.jpg

Those could easily be reindeer for next Christmas! Cute!

13 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Those could easily be reindeer for next Christmas! Cute!

Wonder if they make red snaps.  ;)