kgg

Work Bench Lighting

I have had lighting issues over my work bench, light in the wrong spot and not enough or to much. So what I have done is purchase a 5 in 1 multi socket light attachment and placed it in a swing arm lighting fixture mounted to the wall above the table. Add / subtract light bulbs and move it in/out and left/right where I need it over the table. Table is 5'-4" x 4'-0" and can be reduced to 4'-0" x 4'-0" buy dropping the sides.

Before anyone asks most of my stuff is related to dogs with an average size of about 50 inches. The pile of hard back Sherpa on the table is about 1 1/2" thick which the Juki 1541S handles with no problem. If I can get whatever under that presser foot were good to go. The roll of high density rubber on the table is about 3mm thick and is combined with 5/8" Sherpa and other materials to form a non slip surface for kneeling pads / dog beds and the roll of green material is waterproof ripstop. 

Please excuse the mess, just getting ready to do a couple small items. All comments welcomed.

10.jpg.97b1a17216122f311cbd7869047e9f4e.jpg

11.JPG.a14c598a2a105d653bf7ddc3bac15f0d.JPG

12.jpg.2df675b8811226f7f76e03749ff80f15.jpg

kkg,

Where did you get that 5 - in - 1 multi socket?  I have never seen one in the lower 48.  I got to say I like it.  And the border isn't that far away.

I purchased them from Amazon.ca ($14 CA) but they are also available off Amazon.com about $14 US. If you go to Amazon do a search for " 5 in 1 light socket adapter ". Different shapes and styles are there. I find them coupled with what IKEA calls a " work / wall light " works really good. I use a " work / wall light " clamped to the back of my sewing table and a magnetic led on the sewing machine as well.

kgg

I would imagine they would be available just about everywhere. Actually my son took the 5 in 1 that was in the light to do something and put a 6 in 1 in my light. I didn't notice until this morning.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

I would imagine they would be available just about everywhere.

Yup, imagine away, we have EU conformity, and UK nanny state Health and Safety, that makes a lot of things taken for granted in North America, not so easy for us.

Off topic, but an example, in the UK we can buy a maximum of 32 painkillers at a time, in case we are considering self harm. Jeez, I loved getting 500 at Walgreen or Walmart when I was doing business in the US. I'm old enough and ugly enough to decide what I am using.

Oxalic acid is a "must sign the poisons register" item.

I cannot walk with any blade other than a small penknife, and even then I can be asked to prove I was not intending malicious use.

Sooo all in all, if a lamp has one bulb holder, there are thought police that say you must only ever have one bulb in there, luckily they don't yet prevail.

H

:crazy:

2 hours ago, kgg said:

I purchased them from Amazon.ca ($14 CA) but they are also available off Amazon.com about $14 US. If you go to Amazon do a search for " 5 in 1 light socket adapter ". Different shapes and styles are there. I find them coupled with what IKEA calls a " work / wall light " works really good. I use a " work / wall light " clamped to the back of my sewing table and a magnetic led on the sewing machine as well.

kgg

Thanks!  Found several styles, now just to decide on bar or cluster.

I feel your pain, in Canada we are to becoming a nanny state as compared to what it use be like 20 years ago. I understand your problems may change with the EU exit thing hopefully for the better.

kgg

For me the cluster worked best.

kgg

Didn't know they made those, might check one out. My only worry is with these new LED bulbs is over lighting, if I glance up from my work and my eyes cross the path of an LED bulb I can't see anything but a prismatic spray for a good 30 seconds. I also can't thread a needle under super bright light, it's weird, too dim and I miss a few times but too bright and I can't even see the eye of the needle. What I've been doing to stop this is regardless of what luminaire I use I shield the bulbs and use matte white surface to reflect the light back onto the project I'm working on. It's not much light loss at close range and it stops the blinding effect of LED bulbs. 

I haven't found that yet but is a major consideration. Maybe moving the swing arm fixture up and out of the way as I need is helping.

kgg

I got two of these from Harbor Freight for 29$ each and they worked great for me bright and little to no shadow issues.

https://m.harborfreight.com/4-ft-led-hanging-shop-light-64410.html

Here they are hung up in my corner work space

59472631_10214360951125332_6052247083484

Painting your walls and ceiling white will make it a lot brighter.

If you don't want to paint the beams / joists and the floorboards that are making the ceiling, fix some sheet rock ( or other board ) up there maybe in between the beams / joists if you want to keep them visible ( they , beams / joists can be useful to hang things from later, mind your head when you do ) and paint it white.

I know that you are just beginning, but that will make a huge difference..Kinda "gloomy" in there at the moment, even with the led strips, you want it to feel like somewhere that you want to be...then "decorate"..:)

Edited by mikesc

Comma44 I agree with Mikesc a coat of white paint will make the world of difference to the overall feel to the work area. I would mount a couple of 2x4 to the concrete walls and nail some plywood (painted white) to them for hanging stuff like tools, power bar, gun blanks, etc. For standing comfort on the concrete floor put a anti fatigue matt down.

kgg

Agreed that i could use some paint, wall boards but if you saw what I was working in before this is a step up. One thing at a time and before you know it I will have what i need the way it should be done.

I agree doing it one step at a time is a good thing particularly since you were planning on adding a sewing machine in the future. Some things may need to be changed, rearranged or added. The lighting that you have installed may work great for hand stitching items but when you decide to go with a machine you may have to go with something that can be easily shifted or additional lighting that can be more focused on the needle of the machine. I made the mistake of putting permanent lighting over where I planned to put a workbench in the basement and eventually had to put the damn workbench on wheels to get what I considered good lighting. Should have used the workbench with temporary lighting first then install permenant lighting, live and learn.

kgg

3 hours ago, kgg said:

I agree doing it one step at a time is a good thing particularly since you were planning on adding a sewing machine in the future. Some things may need to be changed, rearranged or added. The lighting that you have installed may work great for hand stitching items but when you decide to go with a machine you may have to go with something that can be easily shifted or additional lighting that can be more focused on the needle of the machine. I made the mistake of putting permanent lighting over where I planned to put a workbench in the basement and eventually had to put the damn workbench on wheels to get what I considered good lighting. Should have used the workbench with temporary lighting first then install permenant lighting, live and learn.

kgg

On the lighting I got it can be move with just putting in a couple of dry wall screws in a different spot (for now) and yea if I get in far enough that I jump into a sewing machine (every used machine I find has been gone before I call about it seems like an omen ). I will be changing up the work space and lighting and adding a movable light, right now seems like saving up money and just getting the correct machine is the way fate seems to be pushing me. I have lots of things way more important than just a machine to sew with I just wanted one to start learning about them as I go so I always keep an eye out for deals.  I have lots of pattern work and building procedures to get down and since a plan on doing mostly holsters I have been collecting mold guns here and there so I can plan out patterns "bases" for more than one gun.

Do you find the direct light into your eyes to be blinding?  I am always trying to direct the light from the source to my work, and block it from my eyes.  Always a challenge.  Is there a way to do this effectively with this set up?

YinTx

6 hours ago, YinTx said:

Do you find the direct light into your eyes to be blinding?  I am always trying to direct the light from the source to my work, and block it from my eyes.  Always a challenge.  Is there a way to do this effectively with this set up?

YinTx

I am a Prototype Machinist as a day job and we use lights like these on a few of the machines that need better lighting than the "stock" ones

Machine light

They are not cheap but they work very well and there are tons of different ones, I think a spot style one like the link on a movable arm would be good for may applications even a sewing machine. 

Lighting is for the most part a very individual perception, to much for someone isn't quite enough for another. With my cutting area the swing away (cheap IKEA) can be moved up/down or from side to side depending on what I think I need. Depending also if I am doing something during the day or night as the room has a window giving some natural light. The number of lights in the multi socket can be quickly changed. All the lights in every fixture throughout the house are LED so they don't get hot like the old fashion incandescent bulbs which makes changing them easier and besides they are more energy efficient (~10 watt LED = ~60 watt incandescent). 

On my machine I have a small adjustable magnetic light to give more light to the needle area as well I have a swing away light mounted to the back of the table for times I need a little extra. The area the sewing machine is located in the room doesn't quite get enough light from the rooms main three bulb ceiling light fixture.

I bought two goose neck led floor lamps from Hobby Lobby, that are two stage: bright enough and super bright for detail work.  I started with just one coming in from my left. I quickly found that invariably at the most critical juncture, the work was in shadow.  On her next trip for quilting material, Miss Tina picked up a second light to come in from my right.  HOLD the power on button, the light ramps up to OMG bright, hold it again, drops back to bright. 

Good lighting is a blessing for old eyes.  Floor lamps don't bounce around when you are pounding on the bench at 120 beats per minute beveling a border. 

I use a cheap clamp on light for close up work

I straightened out the factory bend on one leg of the clamp. Then statigically drilled holes where needed

I move the light  where needed by inserting the. Straightened wire in a hole

0C35D90C-7A73-4044-9123-B9F7FAE7C9F6.jpeg

8AA92F1E-33E3-4F88-B4A2-0E75C7D72584.jpeg