mogwild

Went to buy an embosser, ended up with a few items....

If that lot is from a private collection it's all a bit bizarre! It's as if he went to a Tandy store and said "I'll have one of everything to start with" and then just grabbed extras too.:blink:

5 hours ago, dikman said:

If that lot is from a private collection it's all a bit bizarre! It's as if he went to a Tandy store and said "I'll have one of everything to start with" and then just grabbed extras too.:blink:

And then left it in the package.

Still, $1000 worth of carving tools "tossed in" with something ELSE you were buying.... tough to beat that ;)

A friend at work has an uncle that starts hobbies and buys EVERYTHING to start out. Then does it for like a month and moves on to other things. He had at least 1 of everything Tandy sells tool wise. Plus leather hardware and the like. He wanted $1500 for all of it but I didn’t have the spare money at the time.

1 hour ago, Mattsbagger said:

A friend at work has an uncle that starts hobbies and buys EVERYTHING to start out. Then does it for like a month and moves on to other things. He had at least 1 of everything Tandy sells tool wise. Plus leather hardware and the like. He wanted $1500 for all of it but I didn’t have the spare money at the time.

I like your Avatar, we have a friend that works at KW so we made her some goods to give out at Xmas:

IMG_20161201_192740-1024x768.jpg

5 hours ago, mogwild said:

I like your Avatar, we have a friend that works at KW so we made her some goods to give out at Xmas:

IMG_20161201_192740-1024x768.jpg

Nice. I have the tattoo. Same as my avatar the old emblem.

Edited by Mattsbagger

Had a chance to try out the embosser for real rather than just scraps, turned out really well, 7-8oz veg, wet, embossed (even did the belt loop :) ) at 1-1/2" with the "basketweave" pattern, dyed "java" afterwards, I guess I could have run a shell stamp around the belt loop to make it match, maybe next one.:

IMG_20190211_134631_Bokeh-1024x768.thumb.jpg.80129179abb470d9c1924cd34a0b6aa8.jpgIMG_20190211_134917_Bokeh-1-1024x768.thumb.jpg.a89c7d95eb780c08f064f775e5868188.jpg

Then tried the "leaves and acorns" on a 1-1/4" 7-8oz, same process, wet, emboss, dye in Java, this one I didn't know what to do with the belt loop so I took a look through all the stamps I got in the deal, and sure enough, a tiny acorn. Why not. Might be a bit "kitchy" buy my wife liked it so...

Not a huge fan of the buckle but I'll look though all the stuff and see if I can find a more appropriate one, I used some Chicago screws instead of snaps so I can easily change the color in case a brass buckle or otherwise is more appropriate, we'll see when I get digging into the buckles. 

IMG_20190211_134803-1024x768.thumb.jpg.a96ee844bf08db48eed3915930867a6a.jpg 

IMG_20190211_135029_Bokeh-1024x768.thumb.jpg.98cc28d67aec2e017fc9c4340c6aacd8.jpg

IMG_20190211_135530_Bokeh-1024x768.thumb.jpg.24df9f48e0c2dc328cc71c5eb46037b8.jpg

Edited by mogwild

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 5:22 AM, mogwild said:

I can easily change the color in case a brass buckle or otherwise is more appropriate

I like the shape of the nickel plated buckle, but personally, I prefer to match the polished nickel of the Chicago screws. 'Close but no cigar', can sometimes be worse than two totally different finishes IMHO.

Oh yeah ... great looking belts and really nice colour.

The belts are looking good @mogwild!  I bought the same embosser and a bunch of rolls several years ago when Tandy was discontinuing it, and love it!  I've done a number of belts, but there are other uses for it as well.  The nice part about this design is that you can run larger pieces of leather through it to emboss the edge!  Below are some pics of mug wraps that I've made using the embosser for edges,3D stamps, letter stamps, carving and tooling for the center part:

gallery_52894_2278_99620.jpggallery_52894_2278_305264.jpggallery_52894_2278_109519.jpg

One of the first things that I did with my embosser was to make these little boxes to keep the rolls and small bits like keys in.  They are each embossed with the roller that they contain to make them easy to identify.  I've attached a picture below

.20190213_070128.jpg.f0750d693fdf386a5208fdab2601d37a.jpg

Rolls like the barbed wire are great for borders on skinnier items, and there is probably a plain line roller included with it to leave a nice edge crease, or even make a stitch line.  It looks like you have the majority of the original Tandy rolls, so keep your eyes open for new ones (if you're interested).  Bunkhouse tools has some inexpensive rolls that will work but the fit isn't perfect so you may need to use a bushing to help keep them from wobbling.  They sell on eBay, as do others selling both new and used brass rolls, so give that a look.  

Just one more thing, be sure to keep the roller shafts dry and even oil them a bit.  They are steel and will rust easily.

Happy Embossing!

- Bill

On 2/8/2019 at 11:20 PM, YinTx said:

Your "Unknown" dies look like grommet setters.

YinTx

Thank you, sorry I missed this post. I'll dig out some grommets and see what fits what.

@Rockoboy I agree, I need to either find brushed nickle Chicago screws or buttons, or change the buckle, it was just what I had at the time in the basket-o-buckles in 1-1/4"

@billybopp Thanks, I ran across your post when I was researching if I wanted to purchase it or not, thanks for posting, it was very helpful. Great idea to take off the one guide and emboss wider leathers, I'd have never thought of that. I think there might be a plain line roller, there was something that didn't look like the rest, I'll check it out when I get home tonight. Love the little boxes! That's a bit above my talent set right now. 

I've been on the lookout for new rolls, have a 1-1/4" basketweave on it's way as we speak (current one is 1-1/2"), I also have doubles of the triweave and motorbike one if anyone's looking to trade.

I've also found this site: https://leatherstampstools.com/31-belt-rollers Not sure if those fit my machine or not, if they do, I'll be ordering some.

I also found an old Tandy catalog online showing some of the rolls offered, I'd like to get the "3820-00 rope" one and the "3826-00 Geometric" one

image.png

Nice deal!  Lots of good stuff there!

The Celtic worked out good, even found some Celtic Chicago screws.

IMG_20190214_102236_Bokeh.jpg

And whipped these up last night

Celtic pattern in Brown:

IMG_20190215_104327_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.db0a8641ad11c48abc58fd8f81fd3fe2.jpg

And "Triweave" in Java ("bi-weave on the keeper, as triweave was just too wide for a belt loop ;) ) :

IMG_20190215_104051.thumb.jpg.c9b1e6eabfa56f3a237adc3a81a687b8.jpg

Really enjoying the Embosser, I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of one to add to the collection if you have a desire to do embossing.

Edited by mogwild