VYO

New Prototype Belt Key Holder

I have a customer who is looking for a belt key holder. He is a law enforcement officer and needs something heavy duty and where the hook won't move. I'm creating some prototypes to show him and this is the first one with brass hook and gold Vinymo thread. I used 8oz Sepici veg tan, then a basketweave stamp and Fiebing's Pro black oil dye. My personal observation is it is a bit tall but needed to be to fit the hook. I may need to purchase shorter heavy duty hooks. I also should have made the belt slots wider and taller I think. It works as is but needs some fine tuning. And my basketweave is off as usual. Just need a ton more practice on it.

5c57c495445c9_topview.thumb.jpg.7e8347decd2e5a79a59ea27379d9e1d8.jpg

5c57c4cd4361f_bottomsideview1.thumb.jpg.9c4e33edaa04926fe12d00fe1ddd6b00.jpg

bottomside view3.jpg

Edited by VYO

It looks nice. I like your color choices.

If that's going on a duty belt, they tend to be fairly thick, so take that into consideration. Fitting that one to the belt should tell you where to go size wise on the slots.

Nice work, though!

Made one very similar myself, lasted about a year. I think the solid body clip puts too much stress on the seams and it might be better with a rotating clip. It also dug a hole in my upholstery in the car. :(

@bikermutt07 and @alpha2 Thank you.

@TheCyberwolfe Customer specifically turned down a swivel snap, specifically requested the solid body. I will make sure to mention to him about the car upholstery issue. For the stress on the seams - maybe I should go with a thicker thread or some kind of solid reinforcement in the area of the hook seams. Will have to think on that and discuss with him.

Nice Job - Like the Yellow stitching against the black leather. 

1 hour ago, CraftsmanUK said:

Nice Job - Like the Yellow stitching against the black leather. 

Thank you. :)

This is great. I’ve seen similar on Pinterest and been interested to try one.

I wonder if the service life could be extended by making the top strap ‘T’ shaped or triangle shaped to give it a little more room to be held down by stitches. @TheCyberwolfe which seam failed first? I’m assuming the top one.

@Retswerb, I had rivets on the small strap pinning the hook down, and that snapped. About a week later the stitching holding the hook on lost grip and started pulling out. I guess the best advice is to use lots of backstitching or tie a really good knot somehow, and don't use too thin a piece for the strap holding the hook down.

BeltkeyHook_sm.png

Edited by TheCyberwolfe
Uploaded photo

Is that how they're made now?  I made a BUNCH of these for the boys who work at the prison -- been a good few years back now.  They all wanted them LONGER, so that the keys were over the leather instead of buffing holes in their slacks.  But then, those boys (and one girl) carry a LOT of keys ...

1 minute ago, JLSleather said:

Is that how they're made now?

Not this customer. After doing some different style prototypes for him he wants a long one in a similar style (long, oval, removable without having to remove his belt) to what you mentioned. I got the hardware for it yesterday so I'll be building it today.