AndyNext

Case for Button Accordion / Melodeon

I've just completed a case for my larger button accordion (aka melodeon in UK). My design was developed using construction ideas from one of Ian Atkinson's messenger bag patterns and is made with Sedgwick Russet Shoulder from Abbey England. This was my first attempt at a three piece gusset and I'm very pleased with the result - Ian's video was very helpful for this.

Originally I had planned to dye the leather a darker, but decided to keep it 'natural' and have only applied  Carnauba Cream. It will get a good coating of Aussie Conditioner before it goes into use. Reverse was sealed with TanKote.

The strap is made from heavy duty cotton webbing as I found the leather strap on a smaller case I made last year slipped too easily off the shoulder.

case-040219.png.efa067ddb91f790f633e1cebb7b405bb.png

That's a very nice looking case. I like the natural color and the contrasting strap. Someday I'm going to have to try handles like that on your case. It looks so clean and neat.

A nice case! The instrument should be proud to live in a case like that. 

The case looks fabulous. I really like the sturdy appearance. About the strap: what about a leather (or even a webbing strap, like yours) with a shoulder pad? One could make the bottom part of the pad with a suede lining or something that's not going to become shiny from use. Here's a strap with a pad I've made some time ago. The underside of the pad is lined with suede. IMG_20180710_095206-01.jpeg.502aaee1f02962d3c83706c5eff01cda.jpeg

Thanks Riem. The first case had a leather strap with shoulder pad, however I didn't try lining the pad to stop it slipping. I might go back and give it a go when I have something suitable.

Beautiful Work! Don't think I have seen a nicer one!

What sort of music do you play? For a while I was playing guitar for a Morris side in Uxbridge and will be playing tenor banjo  in Clare in a couple of weeks. 

I have occasionally been asked to make custom straps for button boxes but declined due to the distance involved. I'd want to be able to fit and measure and the 5,000 mile commute would be a problem.

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

Thanks Bob :)

I play English traditional folk music in a ceilidh band and for a local morris team.

I have occasionally thought about making button box straps, but as I currently use nice, comfortable Italian padded straps,  it probably will just stay a thought! 

There are plenty of button box players on your side of the Atlantic, which would reduce the commute if you did decide to start making them!

Cheers, Andy

2 hours ago, AndyNext said:

Thanks Bob :)

I play English traditional folk music in a ceilidh band and for a local morris team.

I have occasionally thought about making button box straps, but as I currently use nice, comfortable Italian padded straps,  it probably will just stay a thought! 

There are plenty of button box players on your side of the Atlantic, which would reduce the commute if you did decide to start making them!

Cheers, Andy

Nice! What box? Salterelles are becoming quite popular here. Have my hands full with instrument cases! The strap market was more interesting when I lived in Boston..

Bob

Box? Boxes!! The case was built for a 1930's Hohner Erika which has been brought back to life, overhauled and retuned. However it also fits my main band box which is a Giustozzi.

Andy

We refer to accordions as "boxes" For those who don't know, perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into a dumpster (tip) and it lands on an accordion!. BTW my avatar was laboriusly traced from a 1909 pearl engraving from a Faibanks banjo, and every 5 string banjo I own has one.

Bob