katit

Which one would you keep? Seiko STW-8B or PFAFF 1245?

I need to get rid of one machine, don't need 2. Which one would you keep?

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/84357-seiko-stw-8b-aka-consew-226r-refurbishadjust/

or

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/81572-yet-another-which-machine-to-buy-topic/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-557462

I did use PFAFF for some upholstery work and it works just great without any single glitch. I am going to use Seiko from now on just to make sure it is running perfect after my restoration.

But I will have to get rid of one for sure.

Seiko PROs:

• Was cheap, don't have to think about keeping $$ in something I won't use much
  • I like reverse better with lever to push
  • I like foot lift via chain (didn't connect it yet) on a pedal better than knee lift
  • I really like parts prices and availability
  • Info availability. My knowledge of all pieces/adjustments..
  • Seem to be more ergonomical especially head assembly not as bulky.
  • Manual lubrication. Not sure if it's PRO or not, but I'm not in a rush and don't mind lubing every point especially that I know it throughout.
  • Made in Japan.

PFAFF PROs:

• Bigger bobbin
  • Bobbin winder onboard (I like it better also external fine too)
  • Larger stitch (also I don't see real need for it in my use case)
  • So far bulletproof
  • Newer

Opinions?

I seriously like the quality that Seiko has always put in their products. 

With that, I said it before and I will professionally stick with my orignal choice.  Take the red label Pfaff and get some thread. 

Happy trails

Floyd

I have both Seiko and Pfaff machines in my shop. There’s no question in my mind which one I’d keep.....the Pfaff. I’ll take a Pfaff over any other make whenever possible. Just my 2 cents. 

I agree with Hockeymender.  Pfaff is a great machine and very smooth.

glenn

I've had a Consew 226's and they are an elegant machine.  I too like the push down to reverse.  I also had an older brown 1245 and was really impressed with it.  

The 1245 was one of the few machines that I feel as good sewing on as my Juki LU-563.  Big bobbin top loaders.  That's where it's at for me.  The Pfaff has that.  My 1245 built in bobbin winder didn't do a very good job (no tension discs) so I used a table mounted winder.  

My advice... Do your next two projects without thinking about it.  Whatever machine you sit down at is the one to keep.  Sometimes stats don't matter as much as what you like.

Good luck with a tough decision.

When you know you can live with 5mm stitches (I can) and the smaller bobbin keep the Seiko. I personally like these bullet proof "Singer based" sewing machines. They are easy to service (almost all aspects of this machine is covered with a PDF user guide or Service manual or a proper YT video) and parts and accessories are available almost everywhere and often cost a lot less than Pfaff parts (even after market parts). Personally I do not like built in bobbin winders. I prefer external ones.

I´d most likely sell the Pfaff and buy 1 or 2 other machines that could be useful for you hobby or business.

Just my personal "Singer crazy" & low tech loving opinion. ;)

I would keep the Pfaff1245.  I have had two of them.  great machines.  The 1245 is smoother than a Juki 563 because I have had one of those as well.  The 1245 was the smoothest machine in its class vs. Juki Lu-563, Adler 267-373, singer 111,  Juki 1508.  Yes, the parts are mote expensive but how often do you break parts on the machine?

glenn

I wish I had this delema

5 minutes ago, Woodstove said:

I wish I had this delema

Why?

Overall interesting feedback :) Especially that PFAFF is not German made/old school. I thought it will be different.

Lack of real tensioner on PFAFF bobbin winder is probably a problem, I didn't think about it.. But yes, bobbins on Seiko much "tighter"/neat.

I got this fancy new motor with positioner from Keystone. It will go on whatever machine I keep. PFAFF install will be easy, drive belt pulley already has correct bushing on it.

I always think about sewing those headrests and how tight it is with PFAFF bulky head. I have to sew right inside of it. Post bed machine would be ideal for this task, but I think this Seiko will be more ergonomic, with smaller/narrower head will be easier to move around.

Having to choose between two machines and keep only one

I just have a Singer 201K and a 29K71.

Working on a Seiko LSW 8BL

German made 1245s are not exactly falling off of the trees these days.

14 minutes ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

German made 1245s are not exactly falling off of the trees these days.

I know. And mine is not German. I know they say it doesn't matter, but it's in a "head" :) Perception.. If I had German PFAFF in excellent condition I wouldn't be asking this question.