YSRASupply

Snap Press for Line 20 - Weaver, Buckleguy, Goldstar, or Pres-n-Snap?

Hey guys, I've been having a really tough time setting line 20 snaps in to 5oz leathers (1.85-2mm thick)... In particular, I've been having trouble with the cap side of the snap and the post getting pushed up in to the cap, causing an ugly indentation in the snap.  So far I've been setting by hand using a maul and buckle guy snap setter and I would estimate that 4-5 snaps end up having to be taken off and re-done because I can't stand the indentation.  I'm starting to think that setting by hand on such thin leathers is just not a good idea?  I've tried all kinds of snaps - Tandy, buckleguy, goldstar, Springfield leather, Scoville, etc, etc... all of them end up with the same problem... I've even tried short post snaps with 3mm posts as well as longer traditional post snaps.  Anyway, please see the attached picture which shows a Scovill snap that has a shorter 3mm post but still is pushing up in to the cap...

I was wondering if getting a proper press will eliminate the problem since it should be able to be much more consistent with pressure/etc?  If so, which press would you recommend?  I've been looking at Weaver, Buckleguy, Goldstar, and the Pres-N-Snap... I'm looking for whichever one is the easiest to adjust and is most compatible with line 20 snaps... At the moment I'm leaning towards getting either the Weaver Little Wonder or the Buckleguy press but was hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance?

Thanks!

IMG_7916.jpg

27 minutes ago, YSRASupply said:

In particular, I've been having trouble with the cap side of the snap and the post getting pushed up in to the cap, causing an ugly indentation in the snap.

My guess is that it is not the snap setter, but that  the post is too long, and when compressed, pushes back into the head of the snap. You are using snaps with "short" posts, but you might try a little experimentation and trim the post down even more to see if that works. Because, what else could it be?

Edited by LatigoAmigo

Can you post a photo of the other sides of the snap fasteners.  

Also are you finding a need to pre hole punch any, Im just curious. 

Good day

Floyd

@LatigoAmigo thanks... will try cutting down some snaps on some scrap leather to see if that helps... do you think a hand press would help at all?

@brmax see picture of back side below... and yes I do need to pre hole punch.  Right now I'm using a 2mm hole punch and it's a nice snug fit.

IMG_7934.jpg

2 hours ago, brmax said:

Also are you finding a need to pre hole punch any

I always pre-punch a hole for a snap. Is that not the correct way to set a snap?

I've been using a Gold Star press for almost year now. Bought the dies with it when I bought the press. Works great and I don't get that same indent shown in your photos. I used to get that deformation when I was hand hammering the snaps and the sole reason I bought a press. One caution though, on thinner leathers you need to back the leather behind the snap when using Gold Star snaps. The metal is really weak and on thinner leathers the metal bends when pulling a snap open.

The snap in the photo is not a Gold Star but I got in the habit of backing on thin leather no matter what snaps I use. I also didn't get a good centering on my backing in the photo but you'll get the idea from it.

snap backing.jpg

Thanks @VYO I have tried leather backing but didn't like the way it raised up the back of the snap... perhaps I need to start using thicker leathers with my snap projects.  Using 5oz now and thinking maybe 7oz might be better suited for line 20 snaps...

Anyway, what other brand snaps have you tried in the Goldstar? I like the price of the goldstar but not sure if it's worth it to spend extra on any of the other options.

Thanks again!

I have a Goldstar press and it works well with Tandy and Goldstar snaps.  Have not tried other brands of snaps, but when I run low on current supply I may try the other brands.

I do have the hole punch attachment from Goldstar, but it only works on very thin leathers, maybe up to 2-3 oz.  Any thicker it doesn’t cut a clean hole through the leather.  Probably would not buy the hole punch dies again.

Gary

34 minutes ago, YSRASupply said:

what other brand snaps have you tried in the Goldstar

I buy the standard ring snaps from Gold Star. I bought some spring snaps from ahkwok but they don't work with the Gold Star dies I got for line 20 snaps. I did use some Tandy snaps at one point with the Gold Star press but Gold Star snap prices are better so I started using them instead of Tandy. The Gold Star standard snaps work fine on 5 oz leather and up for me without backing behind the snap.

2 hours ago, YSRASupply said:

do you think a hand press would help at all?

I use a bench-mounted press that I purchased at Campbell-Randall for $125. It has a twist handle which helps to sense the pressure on the snap/rivet as it is being set. I like it a lot and would highly recommend it. 

http://www.campbell-randall.com/product/italian-twist-press-no-3

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna go with the Goldstar press... will let you guys know how it goes!

I keep 2 press n snap and I simply couldn't and more importantly would not work marine canvas without these. Respectfully these also get leather usage, but im most familar with boxes n boxes of I think a top shelf product, line 20 from Scovill for my main purpose. Fasteners as these are seriously everywhere in our lives and with a bit different twist or turn. 

There are other super cool designed snap fasteners. These I also found interesting and they may require a special die and anvil set to protect the coolness. These at the present im not familar with. So have to stick with commenting on whats working in front of me. 

So I can say for mobile applications anywhere in the shop or elsewhere this press n snap tool is truly a precision instrument and excelent for the durable style snap. 

The company does make a table/bench mount holder for these press n snap tools also. In my case i rather move myself than drag yards and yards of canvas. If considered, the box of peices and snaps could be assebled anywhere with this setup. 

In looking at the photos there are a couple critical points. One is the part in the center, particularly left photo can benefit from a more consistant press, and likely obtained in your search.

These presses of many kinds here in discussion form the better roll over. I think we all can agree this is the holding power so whatever we can do to get it done with one pull or one squeeze all the better.

With that each of our projects today maybe different yet use this same fastener. So good luck

I would agree to say it may be benefical to use a handy hole punch for leathers. With that though I have never found the need to pre punch in several layers of canvas be it cotton or the newest polyester and acrylics.

I should mention I typically order different lengths of post or cap with these different length or height post. So there is no triming, but this is simply an effecient choice if doing 50 or some times ten on a certain section. 

Have a good day

Floyd

Hey guys,

Just wanted to follow up in case this information is useful to anyone else later...

I bought a Goldstar press and so far I have not had any issues once I dialed in the amount of force needed to set the snaps... I have found that I give it just enough pressure to feel the roll of the post and then that's all that's needed... maybe 10-15 lb of force at most.

As far as snap compatibility, so far here is what I've found for line 20 compatibility:

• Goldstar snaps - of course they work great but the snaps aren't as high quality as other brand snaps like Buckleguy or Scovill... they do have a good selection of snaps and they are much better priced than the competition
  • Buckleguy - snaps do not fit in Goldstar dies
  • Scoville - snaps to not fit in Goldstar dies
  • Tandy - Not tested yet (will update later)

Conclusion: I'm pretty happy with my Goldstar press... I got the Sylvia deal that came with a line 20 die, double sided rivet die, 100 double cap line 20 snaps, and 100 double sided 8mm rivets.  Even though the deal has gone up $10 to $98, it still represents a really good deal considering other people are charging more than twice that for just the press and dies.  That being said, I have a LOT of Buckleguy snaps that I've collected over the past year... I'm thinking that I may need to invest in either a Weaver or Buckleguy press in addition to the Goldstar press in the hopes that it will be more compatible with other brand snaps... then I think I'll be pretty well covered.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by YSRASupply

1 hour ago, YSRASupply said:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to follow up in case this information is useful to anyone else later...

I bought a Goldstar press and so far I have not had any issues once I dialed in the amount of force needed to set the snaps... I have found that I give it just enough pressure to feel the roll of the post and then that's all that's needed... maybe 10-15 lb of force at most.

As far as snap compatibility, so far here is what I've found for line 20 compatibility:

• Goldstar snaps - of course they work great but the snaps aren't as high quality as other brand snaps like Buckleguy or Scovill... they do have a good selection of snaps and they are much better priced than the competition

Conclusion: I'm pretty happy with my Goldstar press... I got the Sylvia deal that came with a line 20 die, double sided rivet die, 100 double cap line 20 snaps, and 100 double sided 8mm rivets.  Even though the deal has gone up $10 to $98, it still represents a really good deal considering other people are charging more than twice that for just the press and dies.  That being said, I have a LOT of Buckleguy snaps that I've collected over the past year... I'm thinking that I may need to invest in either a Weaver or Buckleguy press in addition to the Goldstar press in the hopes that it will be more compatible with other brand snaps... then I think I'll be pretty well covered.

Goldstar does sell adapters for other manufacturers' dies. 

15 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Goldstar does sell adapters for other manufacturers' dies. 

Yeah I saw that but it's listed at 3/8" (~9.5mm) whereas BG dies are 7.8mm on the top thread so I'm pretty sure it'd be too big anyway... also at $95 that's pretty much half the price of the Buckleguy press and even then I'm not sure 100% it'd work... sure would be nice if there were some standardization in this space!  Either way I'm happy now that I know I can get perfectly set snaps with a press... doing it by hand was just too frustrating!

Edited by YSRASupply

Right on. I'm sure they are priced to motivate one to stick withe their products. 

On a side note I have seen really good reviews of the Barry King hand setters. 30 bucks each.

On 2/11/2019 at 4:27 PM, YSRASupply said:

Hey guys,

you might try sending goldstar some of the snaps that didnt fit to see if Dave can get a good die made for you.  why but a whole new press when a die is what you need. 

On 2/4/2019 at 6:21 PM, Rockoboy said:

I always pre-punch a hole for a snap. Is that not the correct way to set a snap?

I prefer to pre punch holes too.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:47 PM, Sylvia said:

you might try sending goldstar some of the snaps that didnt fit to see if Dave can get a good die made for you.  why but a whole new press when a die is what you need. 

Didn't know this was an option but definitely a good idea and something worth looking in to!  

On 2/11/2019 at 7:46 PM, bikermutt07 said:

Right on. I'm sure they are priced to motivate one to stick withe their products. 

On a side note I have seen really good reviews of the Barry King hand setters. 30 bucks each.

Made some today:yes:

20 minutes ago, Sanch said:

Made some today:yes:

Nice.