Hello everyone.  I'm looking for a used simple manual steel rule bender.  Can you help?

Google vice metal bender

There's lots of pics. I would add a link if I knew how.

Yes Fordsmtack, very much like the Ameriken, but a used one (even a discard

from a professional).

The cheaper option I have seen is 2 pieces of angle iron mounted in an engineer's vice, one mounted concave and one convex. I saw them a couple of years back, in a local tool/hobbyist store for under $40AUD.

There are also several videos on yootoob about making one from scratch. Should take an hour or so, if a person was mildly capable.

Fordsmtack,

THANK  YOU for that site!  Years ago I had a bunch of steel rule dies from Freeman Shoe in Beloit, WI.  Used the stock to make other stuff, like blinker dies.  There is actually a shop in South Beloit, IL that makes steel rule dies yet today.

God bless.

I have a used die bender. They sell new for several thousand dollars, I gave $300 for mine. I cleaned some rust from it after I dismantled. Oiled and greased. It works like a charm.

I made a couple connections at Ameriken making it possible to get one or two dies for a good price. I probably have $300 to $400 in dies which constitute about 8 or 10 pieces.

The equipment requires much practice to do things correctly. Helps to remember each and everything you have done previous to making an actual die. The steel rule is extremely sharp edged and

very strong. I wear heavy leather gloves on one hand when working with the rule. Fascinating work for sure. After making a number of dies along with some I threw away, I am more impressed with the work folks do manually. Watch a computer driven bender do the work, that is fascinating.

I convinced my wife and myself that I also needed a wire welder to connect joints, that is interesting and testy also since the material is actually very thin. Again, much practice.

Ferg

Hey Rocoboy, do you have a picture or a link ?

4 hours ago, kaiser said:

Hey Rocoboy, do you have a picture or a link ?

I have not seen them in the last couple years, plus I have no idea how to place a link here.

I think I Googled vise mounted bender ... or something similar. There were a few different posts of people making them.

I tried to copy n paste the URL of the video, but all I could do, was put in the 'Reason for edit'.

Edited by Rockoboy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dow0aEDMrgQ

There is a Harry Rogers video on making a dye using a bender if it helps just found the link but it shows the wrong video when inserted here, but just look up Harry Rogers plus "Making Steel Rule Clicker Dies For Leather Wallets"

Edited by chrisash