Sign in to follow this  
katit

Sewing machine table height

How do you guys setup yours? I am considering making mine standing table. I don't spend whole lot of time sewing, it's mostly smaller pieces and about 10% of other related work. Bar stool can be also used if needed to sit down. Thoughts?

I am older than most of you and have problems with knees and lower back. I tried one machine at standing height. Advantage I found with standing, you can see over all the work area a little better than when you sit. My back and legs simply will not withstand standing at any of my machines for more than ten or fifteen minutes at a time.

Ferg

When I owned Union Lockstitch machines I had to stand to operate them. The work height was too high to sit and see over the throat plate. My Cowboy CB4500 is high up on a pedestal table so I use a barstool when I sew on it. All my other machines are at standard sitting height and that works fine for me.

I'm 6'4" so my sit down table on the Juki flat bed machine is as high as it will go, like 32" or more? Can't remember exactly. I keep the machines high enough that I'm not slouching or cranking my neck downward too much.

My other machines have the ergo stands so I can have them up or down as fits.

I use DW 9000 series drum stools instead of standard chairs. I am a drummer, so they just feel right. I can have them up at max height (much higher than at my drum kit actually) and go from sit to stand quickly. Kinda like a task style chair. They don't roll around and they are back-less so they keep me upright.

2.JPG

I had to first find a table height that I could comfortably and accurately reach out there and still cut product with scissors. 

So these heights for me are comfortable, my work tables are all 38”. I also use the K-stands with casters. With these I found It was best that I build a 4”tall platform for these flatbed sew machines to then roll up and into their stations. 

I believe its the actual work being done in that station or area. If as many do, several different task on a long or big table then it has to be your call on who and whats going on. 

There are some super extensive books on work, production and human body work motion illustrstions. They are likely under architecture graphic standards. 

Even now I still always liked, with myself standing at work table my fore arms up lets say parallel with the top and palms down a 6” distance between palms and table surface. I also found this good for assembling small pieces and parts in my past.

To add a key point, I found in building another table exclusive to rotary knife or head knife usage again my comfort height here was now 35 and so its what works for each person and task pretty much.

Bar/drafting stools have been my mainstay for years

Good day

Floyd