BDAZ

Sheath for Double Edged Karambit Knife

I have a commission to make a sheath for a karambit. This is a working knife and retrieval has to be quick and easy and reinsertion, at least simple and not fiddly. Unlike all of the Karambits detailed here, this has an extreme curve, is not for show  and will be used for self defense. It is extremely sharp and immediately sliced open the seam of  test sheath I constructed.

Schrade SCH112 Full Tang Fixed Blade Knife

I am not sure simply adding an extra layer of leather around the perimeter of the blade would work. The worst area is along the outer edge towards the tip. 

Suggestions or ideas are most welcome.

Thanks!

Bob

I tried a test using a 1/4" spacer strip between top and bottom saturated in epoxy then stitched when try. I was unable to slice the edge of the 5-5 oz spacer after repeated tries and the knife glides smoothly across the edge.  It will be a bear to apply this to the case without ruining the piece. I am thinking about lining with carbon fiber at the same time.

Bob

Are you saying that this blade cut through the welt and the seam or just the seam threads ?. I have seen welts made of wood with holes drilled through for the thread. Or a kydex liner with leather wrapped around it? 

Just now, kiwican said:

Are you saying that this blade cut through the welt and the seam or just the seam threads ?. I have seen welts made of wood with holes drilled through for the thread. Or a kydex liner with leather wrapped around it? 

Cut through the threads and the glued seam. Kydex would be too bulky, I have used it for straight edges but to get a curve would be a problem. With the spacer I will trace the outside of the case on some 5-6 oz then cut the inside 1/4" smaller and should be able to lay the spacer right over one shell. It's the curve that's the issue.

Kydex and rivets like the manufacturer supplies.

May God bless,

Dwight

Well obviously it's going to need a welt on both sides. I take it by "spacer", you are refering to a welt?
I fail to see how using kydex would be too bulky, seeing as when used properly it pretty much always results in far slimmer profile than leather.

I think it's just a fact of the physics of the thing that any welt on the inside edge of the blade is going to be at very high risk, and over time perhaps certainty, of being cut through....

That being the case, I might be inclined to conclude that leather simply is not an appropriate material for this use case, but thats a matter between you and your client

Edited by VabaX

Any thoughts of something like a handcuff sheath-holster? Like literally what a LEO wears on his belt to hold his handcuffs. With a blade like that drawing in constant real life situations only yields two results on a form fitting sheath. Either the sheath will be destroyed or the blade will constantly be dulled upon drawing and re-sheathing. I teach CQB and have a decent collection of knives, I can't see that blade being drawn at a rapid reliable speed without damaging a sheath or dulling the blade. If it sat in something as wide as a handcuff holster it could be pulled rapidly without having to draw in a way that rode/followed the curve of the blade.

The client doesn't want a plastic sheath, one came with the knife.  He also wants a form fitting sheath so a cuff style case is also out. The epoxy impregnated welt appears to be a solution or possibly to create one from carbon fiber. I am going to play with laying down a single layer of carbon on top of an epoxied welt on the bottom. I won't have the knife too tight and will wet form using a Maquette think enough to give it room. The client wants it horizontal on his belt and it will be worn daily for work. 

Thanks!

Bob