Treesner

How to make ruler more grippy

You guys have any solutions for making long cuts without the ruler slipping on the leather? 

Wondering id one of these rulers with a handle would make a difference Amazon ruler

B4350BC5-D8D4-405F-9659-FBC1BCF020CC.jpeg.309f6ea26fbbb42c35e34d9feb12e1f8.jpegI saw one hanging on a Pinterest tool wall 

89F98487-4087-4345-9AA4-6A1DF895A86B.jpeg.99ca6251d3ef4a3bbc5333d7b88d7a01.jpeg

Or maybe this kind of thing 

Amazon link

C5EB36C8-FE68-4252-82BA-C1D2F8B36250.jpeg.92cc00fe3ef34b1b865c7870499a7d3b.jpeg

I use a 5'-4" long by 3" wide flat piece of aluminium for long cuts or markings and just clamp both ends to the table with C-clamps or squeeze clamps.

kgg

I do the same as kgg when I have longer cuts. Don't tell my wife, but I usually use the kitchen table and have a 5 ft. long aluminum ruler and place the clamps at each end of the table.

That said, the ruler with the handle looks like a good idea but I didn't notice if it has a cork backing. Without that I think your going to have the same issue with slipping even with the handle.

I bought one of those triangular profile engineering rulers thinking it would be nice and stiff for shorter cuts on my work table. It’s sturdy alright, but pushing down on it is murder on the hands with it always having a sharp edge pointing up. Not worth it.

1 hour ago, Retswerb said:

I bought one of those triangular profile engineering rulers thinking it would be nice and stiff for shorter cuts on my work table. It’s sturdy alright, but pushing down on it is murder on the hands with it always having a sharp edge pointing up. Not worth it.

Glad I asked thanks for letting me know 

Don’t think plastic would be ideal for cutting with blades but it’s a 1/4” 

I've used a cork backed ruler for years and it works pretty well for staying put without too much effort.  I've also found that silicon (like used on some cell phone cases) turns out to have a lot of friction when in contact with leather and it makes a great weight to hold small leather projects in place while tooling them.  If you could find a sheet of that stuff at the fabric store it might make a great backing for a metal ruler.  I've also thought if you had enough scrap leather you could glue that to a ruler and it would hold still.

Most hardware stores have an adhesive backed tools of what I would call skid proof.  I thinks it’s made to give traction on surfaces. Cut to fit whatever you want to put it on,  works great I have it on all my straight edges and squares.

On 2/6/2019 at 1:55 AM, Treesner said:

You guys have any solutions for making long cuts without the ruler slipping on the leather? 

Wondering id one of these rulers with a handle would make a difference Amazon ruler

B4350BC5-D8D4-405F-9659-FBC1BCF020CC.jpeg.309f6ea26fbbb42c35e34d9feb12e1f8.jpegI saw one hanging on a Pinterest tool wall 

89F98487-4087-4345-9AA4-6A1DF895A86B.jpeg.99ca6251d3ef4a3bbc5333d7b88d7a01.jpeg

Or maybe this kind of thing 

Amazon link

C5EB36C8-FE68-4252-82BA-C1D2F8B36250.jpeg.92cc00fe3ef34b1b865c7870499a7d3b.jpeg

Use a hot glue gun to apply a small amount of glue to the bottom of what ever you don't want to move. It works great.

My mom quilts a lot.  She had a ton of omnigrid brand rulers.  Omnigrid also sells omnigrip rulers that are more sticky.  They sell a backing you can put on your ruler that looks like clear packing tape that makes the  omnigrid more like omnigrip.   Its called OMNIgrid Invisigrip  its on Amazon, but also at Joanns Fabric.