stangman645

Help with UMC Hydralic Clicker Press

Hello All,

I recently picked up a UMC Clicker press that requires USMC SPEC. 150A OIL. I've not been successful with finding a civilian equivalent oil to refill the machine with. If anyone can please point me in the right direction as to what's the replacement or civilian equivalent it would be much appreciated.

Stangman645

I would check with Melody Machine in Calif. Also would check whether you

have a filter and if changes were made to aftermarket.  Also lube machine

well before starting.  If it moves or pivotes lube it.  A dry machine puts

tremendous loads on the pump.

there is only a couple of types of hydraulic oil.  Tractor Supply cares hydraulic oil and we have used it in our clickers.

glenn.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:56 AM, shoepatcher said:

there is only a couple of types of hydraulic oil.  Tractor Supply cares hydraulic oil and we have used it in our clickers.

glenn.

Which fluid did you use? 

Hydraulic oil ike they use in tractor attachments.  Only one or two types made.  Your manual was mailed yesterday.

glenn

I've replaced the oil in one of mine with Shell Tellus 46. Found it recommended in one of the manufacturers maintenance models since I don't have a manual for my Fipi. Anyway, it has been running fine with it for the past 2 years.

Hydraulic clickers now-a-days almost all use a type of fluid called AW ISO 46.  This is extremely common and sold under a lot of brand names: Shell 46, Tulco 46, etc.  Verify with the dealer if it matches AW ISO 46 and it should work just fine.  Sometimes, the AW (antiwear) isn't available and you'll have to use regular ISO 46.   This is usually not a big deal, since the AW is usually just some zinc and chromium additives, and it's usually just the spec'd default for engineers.   You can pick up 5 Gal buckets of AW ISO 46 from Tractor Supply, and many times, get it from O'reilly's or Autozone.  Your average clicker will take anywhere from 8 to 15 gallons, but usually 10 gallons is plenty.   Do your self a favor, and when you change the oil, toss in a large magnet into the pan, to collect any metal shavings that may be floating around.  Certainly won't hurt, but may also prevent something drifting around from getting into the system.  

It won't hurt it to take the piece off and inspect it.  It MIGHT be a filter, but I'm guessing it's probably a check valve.  Either way, be sure to clean the threads when replacing and consider some appropriate teflon liquid seal on the threads when you tighten it back down.   This line sees a LOT of pressure, so make SURE it's on tight.