utah leather

Beeswax finish

well since I am having weird results lately with the resolene finish I will explore the beeswax finish  ( over alcohol based bye ) again, I would like all opinions on how well this works on a work belt and how often should it be recoated,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     thanks guys for any info                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    John from Johns Belt Shop

What kind of applicator are you using to apply the beeswax? We use beeswax on our edges and burnish it on with a sander to heat it up and let it set. 

We haven't tried using a beeswax finish on all other parts of the leather. I'd be curious how you apply and your results. 

On 2/15/2019 at 10:10 AM, AltaAndina said:

What kind of applicator are you using to apply the beeswax? We use beeswax on our edges and burnish it on with a sander to heat it up and let it set. 

We haven't tried using a beeswax finish on all other parts of the leather. I'd be curious how you apply and your results. 

messing around with different teckniqes just taking a solid piece ( mixed 50/50 with neatsfoot oil ) and rubbing it on a scrap piece of undyed leather then let it sit for awhile then rub it off with an old t- shirt , then do it again a few times . Some people heat up the beeswax after they put it on, let it sit a few minutes until it cools off then rub it off , ( remember to constatly flip the rag so you're not rubbing wax over wax , it will drag and then it's time to flip the rag ) then repeat. Like I said, I am still practiceing myself since I have been using resolene for 5 years without a problem but lately it's just acting weird and not flowing out and drying like it's supposed to.

Good luck Guys

Keep me posted on your results.

On 2/16/2019 at 3:39 PM, utah leather said:

messing around with different teckniqes just taking a solid piece ( mixed 50/50 with neatsfoot oil ) and rubbing it on a scrap piece of undyed leather then let it sit for awhile then rub it off with an old t- shirt , then do it again a few times . Some people heat up the beeswax after they put it on, let it sit a few minutes until it cools off then rub it off , ( remember to constatly flip the rag so you're not rubbing wax over wax , it will drag and then it's time to flip the rag ) then repeat. Like I said, I am still practiceing myself since I have been using resolene for 5 years without a problem but lately it's just acting weird and not flowing out and drying like it's supposed to.

Good luck Guys

Keep me posted on your results.

Great, thank you for the insights. Appreciate the tips on the technique with the rag