dikman

Xmas came early

But tinged with sadness. A friend of ours used to make belts and bags commercially many many years ago. He sold off the machinery but kept the handtools thinking he might use them again. Didn't happen and a couple of weeks ago at lunch, knowing I dabbled in leatherwork, he asked if I would like his (old) stamps. Naturally I said yes, so today went around to pick them up. The sadness part is that he just found out he has terminal cancer, with approx. 3 months to live. Came as a complete surprise to everyone. Anyhow, he took me out to the shed and it wasn't only stamps!!! A few photos, but I'm still sorting it all out. Approx. 70 Craftool stamps (much better than my cheap ones!), a set of nylon stamps (?), a set of large letter stamps, assorted hole punches (British made), 3 Carr presses (2 setup for fitting eyelets/studs), a tool box with assorted tools, boxes of buckles(!!!), more rivets than I'll ever use (decorative type), a couple of rawhide hammers, a strap cutter labelled G Barnesley, Sheffield, bottles of assorted dyes (all very old) and a large assortment of leather, mostly offcuts but some bigger bits too.

Most of the buckles I'll never use as they're lightweight, sort of decorative, types so I'll have to get rid of them. I suspect a lot of the dye will go too, along with some of the leather scraps. I didn't want to appear picky there so just took the lot. Biggest problem - somewhere to put this stuff as my little shed where I keep my leather gear is already full!!!!!!!!

Nylon stamps a.jpg

Stamps a.jpg

Punches1a.jpg

Presses a.jpg

Letter stamps a.jpg

Tools a.jpg

Rivets a.jpg

Cutter a.jpg

Buckles a.jpg

Sorry for your friend, but it sure was sweet of him to pass along the goodies.

I'm no stamp expert, but some of those geometric ones look like they might be rare. Several I've never seen before.

Definitely a bittersweet event, and kind of him to trust you with his tools.  I have a similar strap cutter, very nice.  Take it apart, give the steel parts a dip in evaporust, buff it up and you will be good to go.  Sheffield steel is considered good stuff.  Folks fawn over how the older leather was so much better than what we have available today, so if it is condition-able, should be nice to use.  I'm sure he'll be happy to see the stuff put back into service.

YinTx

He wanted to make sure that the tools went to someone who would appreciate them (and I do!). I intend to strip the strap cutter and sharpen it. I have one of those ubiquitous wooden ones but this one should be much better. I found some old receipts in among the paper patterns, looks like a lot of the stuff was bought around 1970-71-72 (including some of the dye!!). There's another tray in the toolbox that I missed that has more tools in it.

Lovely story, behind a sad situation.

The strap cutter is a plough gauge, and is identical to mine. It's a nice piece of kit.

Looks like some quality tools there.

H

Wow ~ so sorry for your friend.  Glad you received the tools of your shared passion!

Found 3 G Barnsley knives, thanks to the other recent timely post I've identified one as a clicker knife and one as a banana knife (weird name for a knife). Pretty well all the tools need sharpening.

The hides are pre-dyed (coated?) on one side only. Of limited use to me, although the black, brown and reddish-brown may be useful, white, light yellow and purple not so much. Cleaned up the three Carr presses and realised that some other strange-looking bits are actually assorted fittings for the presses (for rivets, snaps etc).

Next big job is to make sense of the rivets and caps.

What an excellent collection, though it is, of course, a sad way to acquire them

Until 1973 when Britain joined the EEC  there were closer ties between Britain and Australia, so it's not surprising that some of the tools  will be from traditional British makes like Maun, Barnsley and Thor

I think the best thanks you can give your friend would be to get the tools cleaned up, sharpened, and used

Edited by zuludog

Don't worry, I will be, as I love old tools. In some ways these knives are no better, functionally, as my re-shaped and re-purposed old cutlery knives, but these have a "pedigree" which sets them apart.

I kind of had a similar story. Every time I reach for one of the tools I remember what his wife said to me when I tried to return them. "Make something grate and honor him." I try... I fail...I try again.

Enjoy his legacy

Now I have to clean the dust in my eyes.

Hold on to those hides, the farther you go the more you will Branch out and find uses for them.

Even if it is just for prototyping new designs.

4 hours ago, Grumpymann said:

I kind of had a similar story. Every time I reach for one of the tools I remember what his wife said to me when I tried to return them. "Make something grate and honor him." I try... I fail...I try again.

Enjoy his legacy

Now I have to clean the dust in my eyes.

Sad to hear about your friend, but I'm sure he takes comfort in knowing his tools will be used and loved.  If he is survived by loved ones, a little gift of something made with those tools as @Grumpymann mentioned above would be a wonderful touch for both him and them.

Bill

Sorry to hear about your friend but good to hear that he passed his tools off to someone who appreciates and will use them.

Perfect excuse to build a bigger shed!

6 hours ago, VYO said:

Perfect excuse to build a bigger shed!

I wish! I've been told "no more sheds". I had to move the sewing machine spare parts into another shed and re-arrange the reloading gear to make room. And get rid of a domestic machine that I don't use.

I decided to have a closer look at the stamps. The geometric ones are all Porter and Co. stamps, a couple are Leathercraft NZ and the rest Craftool. I have a few Craftool that I bought recently and compared them to the old ones - there's a world of difference! The old ones have better definition and just look better. I also found a .pdf chart from Tandy that lists the old and the new stamps and it's obvious that Craftool have severely reduced the number of stamps that they make. Many of mine are no longer made.