Hi all. I recently decided to make a belt for a buckle I bought some time ago.

It's a double layer of vegtan, handsewn all round, and what a mission that was!

It gives me new respect for all the folks here on the forum.

Made plenty of mistakes along the way, but it is around my waist as I write this.

I cheated slightly, once the stitching holes were marked with a wheel, I used a tiny drill bit in a dremel stand to drill all the holes, and then opened them up with a diamond shaped awl. The reason for this was to try to ensure that the stitching on the inside stayed relatively even.

I'm very glad to have made this belt, but my hands reckon that it will be a long time before trying another one.

Thanks for having a look, and any advise would be welcome.

Belt 01 small.jpg

Belt 02 small.jpg

Belt 03 small.jpg

I think it looks great.

Thanks bikermutt, appreciate the comment.

Nice work.  I get what you are saying but believe me, once you get the technique down even a belt like that is not as big a deal as it seems.  When I started stitching, even a watch strap was an ordeal.  All of a sudden I could whip out a watch band or small wallet so fast it kind of bugged me.  What I mean is that I really love to sit at the pony with a cup of coffee and some music and lose myself in the process.  What used to be a half-hour became 15 minutes.

Please understand I'm not humble bragging, I'm just trying to say that when I hear folks complain about large stitching projects I can't help but wonder whether they are doing something that is making their job more difficult.  For example, I remember reading a post where a fellow was complaining about his fingers hurting so bad he had to stop stitching.  Another said he was having to use pliers to pull his need through on every stitch.  I believe in both instances, they were doing something that contributed to their difficulties.  Holes should be big enough to allow the needles to pass through with little effort.  If they don't, try smaller needles or larger holes.  Common sense.  I have reached for pliers when stitching but probably on every third project and only once or maybe twice on that project.  I also wear leather sleeves on my pinky fingers to keep my fingers from getting sore when pulling thread snug.  Other than that, no issues.

Didn't mean to go on a rant, but I guess I'm disappointed that your belt turned out so nicely and you are considering never attempting another one.

Tugadude, firstly, thank you for the encouraging words. You're actually dead right, it's getting the process right that matters. I was stabbing my awl holes on a cork block, and battling. I eventually cut the block in half, and doubled it, which then allowed the awl more depth, therefore a bigger hole. Viola! If you don't work with leather often, it tends to be a bit of a learning curve each time. As far as saying I won't make another belt, that may be an exaggeration, but certainly not without better preparation. I should make a plan to buy or build a stitching pony, as this was all done in hand on a table. We'll see in a while, but thank you once again.

Good job, Mike Wise, . . . and you are a much more industrious man than I.

I complain to a certain extent having to sew belts with a Tippmann Boss, . . . a 20 minute to 1/2 hour process for me (74 yrs old and enough arthur-rightus to make pulling that handle a bit of a chore).

A 42 inch belt runs something near 500 stitches, . . . and my right shoulder fusses with me the rest of the day.

But again, . . . nice belt, . . . wear it happily and proudly.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Dwight, thank you very much. It's encouraging to hear from experienced folks like yourself. I enjoy making something useful from leather, and should actually Get over myself, Get organized and Get on with it!

All the best, and may God bless you too.

Nice belt, stitching came out pretty nice.  And stitching a belt is a chore.  For me, by hand, with an awl, at 8SPI, I can go about 12-16 inches an hour now, and figure 80 inches or more of stitching on a belt, and you have a full day of stitching.  Holes are snug, but not impossible for a decent stitch.  I'd be sore for a while after that.  So I usually have to break it up over a few days of work so as not to injure myself.  Don't fret, it came out nice.

YinTx

Thank you YinTx, kind of you to comment. I think this was about 6 SPI, but still a lot of stitching.

All the best,

Mike

This belt is indeed put together very well and, although the stitching is a chore when first getting going with it, I have to agree with everyone that it gets easier as you do it more.  I have been hand stitching for over 40 years and just can't find myself doing it any other way.  Like some have mentioned here you find yourself all of the sudden getting it done much faster but then you look for the next project to see if there is a new challenge to it that will fill your time again; just the way an artist works I guess.  Like @YinTx said, he spends a full day on one of these and I am sure that you most likely broke it down into sections as well which doesn't matter because you control the flow and the outcome, nobody else.  When I make a 2-ply belt both layers are 8 to 9 oz. and I stitch at 6 spi so now I have doubled the thickness that a standard belt would normally be and I have gone with a tight stitching pattern which adds to the difficulty but, having hand stitched a saddle or two in my day, I feel right at home with it but then again it isn't new for me so it comes much more naturally.  But if you think stitching is something, I had a purse project awhile back that the client wanted laced so took the project and went with it, 14 hours of lacing alone on this project; total project time was 44 hours (heavily hand-tooled which ate up a bunch of time) but this is what I do so I don't really notice it.

Still, very good job on the belt and you should keep with it regardless of what you are making.  I am looking forward to seeing more of your works as time goes on, providing you want to share them of course.

Richard, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I tend to do a bit of leatherwork on and off as the need (or want) arises, with other hobbies in between. Watercolour painting, fly tying, a bit of fishing when I have time, target shooting and reloading now and then, etc.

From this you'll see that I really enjoy leatherwork, but am not permanently set up for it. Quite often, a plan has to be made regarding tools, work place and so on.

Having said that, this belt is back to back 7 oz, working out to about 5.4mm in thickness, and took me about a day and a half with design, cutting, grooving, stamping and sewing.

I enjoyed making it, but was glad once it was complete.

I must say, I believe that I'm making fewer mistakes now than I did with my first projects, and a lot of that is thanks to members on this forum, such as yourself.

Thank you once again for the compliment and encouragement.

All the best, Mike

I got a lot of leather belts hanging up that I ruined making belts, but I learned a lot from my mistakes and from watching other people on this site and also the support from members . I can’t wait to see your belts later on. My big problem was being too much in a hurry. Your first belt was way better then mine.

Thank you Mike. I think the main problem as a hobby leatherworker, is that I don't do enough of it, with long breaks in between, so when I do get around to stitching or stamping or whatever, my hands have 'forgotten' what to do. Guess I'll just have to make time for a bit more projects.

All the best, Mike