DanishMan

PFAFF 193 ongoing problems

Dear Friends

As mentioned a few weeks ago, I have tried to provide long distance advise to a friend, who is struggling with a PFAFF 193.

She has bought the machine as slightly defect - the hook had broken after hitting the needle.

Now with a replacement hook, the problems is the same (obviously). What can be done to adjust this? Do one really have to displace the pillar by just a fraction, or is there som smart way of doing this. My friend also mentioned that the entire hook assembly was a bit wobbly.

There are several youtube videos about the PFAFF 193, but neither mentions how to adjust the hook/needle distance.

Kind regards

DanishMan

Send  us a few pics of the needle and hook.  The busing or housing where the hook goes in could be worn.  We need pics to better help you and her.

glenn

Certainly.

?view=att&th=1688185b020d3ddd&attid=0.1&

As a matter of fact, it is not the needle but the underside of the bobbin case, hitting the needle.

Thank you again.

Brgds

Danishman

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=1688185b020d3ddd&attid=0.1&disp=attd&safe=1&zw

That picture upload did not work, sorry. It's a bit of a science to upload pictures in this form. Unless you pay-to-play, you have to downsize pictures before uploading. Either way, you can drag-and-drop or use the "choose files ..." link to upload pictures.

The post on the Pfaff 193/593 (and many other post bed designs, I suspect) consists of two halves that can be moved independently.  

The left half of the post (blue in the picture below) is the feed dog carrier - it needs to stay aligned with the needle.

The right half of the post (red) is the hook carrier. Either half can be moved independently of the other a small distance. This allows you to adjust the distance between hook and needle. 

The left side of the post needs to stay aligned with the needle, to make sure the needle is centered with the hole in the feed dog. 

In order to adjust the position of the hook relative and the needle, you have to move the RIGHT portion of the post. The post cover plates front and back have slotted holes or simply slide over the opposing part to allow relative position changes between the two halves of the post.

In order to adjust the right half of the post, you'll also have to move the hook driving gears to make sure they stay nicely meshed.

That's my theory, in any case. I have a Pfaff 593 but I've not yet adjusted hook-to-needle distance on it. 

If, as you say, it's really the bottom of the bobbin case that touches the needle, something totally different may be going on. Pictures are indeed required to have any chance of remote debugging.

Pfaff193-post.jpg

Here's a detail picture of my Pfaff 593 post. You can see that the front cover plate is really only attached to the left half of the post. 

_MG_0066.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Hi Uwe

Thank for your time and effort.

The strange thing for me is the fact, that it is the lower plate, that hits the needle. By moving to hook carrier, the distance between hook and needle may become too large, whereby the hook will not be able to catch the thread.

Brgds

DanishMan

Hi again Uwe

If I can get your email, I can email the small video sequence to you.

Brgds

Soren

You are talking about the needle guard. This is a part that can be bent slightly and carefully with a screw driver to adjust it. When bending the needle guard, make sure you don't use the hook tip as a lever point (it may break the tip of the hook!). Rotate the hook into a position so you can use the body casting as a lever point to push the needle guard plate in or out. 

The needle guard is supposed to barely touch the needle when the tip of hook is at the needle. The function of the needle guard is really to protect the hook. It prevents the needle from getting deflected towards the hook and causing the hook to strike the needle.

It's best to upload videos to Youtube and share the link here in order to keep the video with the topic and so that others can see and learn from it too. I can do it for you if you don't know how. My email address is uwe@uwe.net

I made a short video once that was an addendum to a hook timing video. It shows how the needle guard is supposed to barely touch (or "kiss") the needle. The same applies to the Pfaff 193 (and just about all other machines with a needle guard.)

Edited by Uwe

Thank you Uwe. Very useful information.

Brgds

Soren

Also a good idea to upload video on youtube and provide a link for it.

Well done Uwe!!!