bikermutt07

I found it, I forgot it, I lost it, and then found it again.

Title says it all. This is a super simple leather edging machine for strap goods.

Please slap foreheads in silence and enjoy.

Well, there is no "slaps head" emoji let alone one for silently so *slaps head silently*. :)

Seriously cool tool though so enjoying that.

I will be finding an unoccupied corner of my sewing table for this.

Video isn't working, their facebook page link doesn't work, and their website says they've closed their store in Cody?

But, I did find the youtube version which I had seen before.  At the time, I realized it negated spending $$$ on the ez edger....

YinTx

Edited by YinTx

8 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

This is a super simple leather edging machine

WHAT THE WHAT?@!   UH... no -- it's 2 pieces of leather screwed down to the table.  Folks, this is pretty much the DEFINITION of hype.  This fella may be a decent guy, and may have had no intention other than to help folks out, so not saying it was anything nefarious.  But I was looking for the "edging" part or the "machine" part, which didn't happen.  Really, what the guy has is a STOP and a sharp edger.

It's extreme for the situation.  I do the same thing with an 18" ruler on a marble block.  Yeah, I know the planet has been dumbed down and somebody is about to ask for a video of that too :rofl:  ITS A RULER.  SITTING ON A FLAT STONE.  If I'm doing a number of straps at the same time, I toss a quick clamp on the ruler to hold it more solid ;)  And like this thing, it's just a STOP.  It IS helpful, because it keeps the strap straight. Edger can't bow the strap, so it cuts easier.  Course, it's still the edger doing the edging.  And when I'm done, the ruler goes in the drawer right under the marble until I need it again.

2 thicknesses of leather screwed down to the table, then other thickness of leather to "shim up" the thinner straps, and a video about all the above -- seems excessive.  Tall hat, upward camera angle, ribbons on the backdrop... c'mon folks- it's a commercial.  If he takes off the hat, shows a level camera angle, points the camera at what he's actually talking about, then it clearly shows as leather screwed to a table.  Same camera stuff that made Tom Cruise look taller than 5'6"...

Edited by JLSleather

22 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

WHAT THE WHAT?@!   UH... no -- it's 2 pieces of leather screwed down to the table.  Folks, this is pretty much the DEFINITION of hype.  This fella may be a decent guy, and may have had no intention other than to help folks out, so not saying it was anything nefarious.  But I was looking for the "edging" part or the "machine" part, which didn't happen.  Really, what the guy has is a STOP and a sharp edger.

It's extreme for the situation.  I do the same thing with an 18" ruler on a marble block.  Yeah, I know the planet has been dumbed down and somebody is about to ask for a video of that too :rofl:  ITS A RULER.  SITTING ON A FLAT STONE.  If I'm doing a number of straps at the same time, I toss a quick clamp on the ruler to hold it more solid ;)  And like this thing, it's just a STOP.  It IS helpful, because it keeps the strap straight. Edger can't bow the strap, so it cuts easier.  Course, it's still the edger doing the edging.  And when I'm done, the ruler goes in the drawer right under the marble until I need it again.

2 thicknesses of leather screwed down to the table, then other thickness of leather to "shim up" the thinner straps, and a video about all the above -- seems excessive.  Tall hat, upward camera angle, ribbons on the backdrop... c'mon folks- it's a commercial.  If he takes off the hat, shows a level camera angle, points the camera at what he's actually talking about, then it clearly shows as leather screwed to a table.  Same camera stuff that made Tom Cruise look taller than 5'6"...

It's still pretty genius. He admitted it wasn't his idea, and maybe he has a little SMS, but he's not trying to sell it. 

6 hours ago, YinTx said:

Video isn't working, their facebook page link doesn't work, and their website says they've closed their store in Cody?

But, I did find the youtube version which I had seen before.  At the time, I realized it negated spending $$$ on the ez edger....

YinTx

That's wierd, I clicked on my link after reading your post and the link worked fine?

7 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

It's still pretty genius. He admitted it wasn't his idea,

OF course he didn't claim the idea.  Somebody would show him tool and die manuals written before he was born calling that a SOLID STRIPPER with an integral POSITIVE STOP.

I tack the end of the strap to the bench and walk along with the edger. Where do I file my patent at? :lol::rolleyes:;)

Edited by Matt S

18 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I tack the end of the strap to the bench and walk along with the edger. Where do I file my patent at? :lol::rolleyes:;)

Exactly.  Or, better yet -- use your simple and effective solution to try to drum up support and attention for other things you did.  Use it as a "reason" to make a video showing your ribbon.  And how tall you are getting :rofl:

I watched the video and thought it was great.  He says up front that the idea was shown to him years ago.  He proceeds to show how it works, how it is made and demonstrates how you use it, all for free.  JLS, I think you went way overboard criticizing this guy.  Just my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

JLS, I think you went way overboard criticizing this guy.  Just my opinion.

Fair enough :dunno:  I thought it was "way overboard" to make a video of such a simple idea, but if somebody was helped - good deal. 

I sometimes forget that people are willing to pay for a drawing of a rectangle if you call it a "leather field notes pattern".  Well, no -- I don't forget.. I just don't grasp the concept of people who tout "custom", "hand crafted", and "unique" being willing to pay for a drawing of a rectangle.  Just can't make sense of it.

But I wasn't actually denigrating the guy; what i said was ...

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

This fella may be a decent guy, and may have had no intention other than to help folks out, so not saying it was anything nefarious. 

Edited by JLSleather

Bikermutt, Thank you for posting this!.This is obviously not a new concept and another way to hold straps. This is a fairly common shop hack that's been around probably for decades. The problem is a lot of leather workers haven't "been around" that long, and if not for the internet don't visit many shops. I hadn't seen the second piece tip before I saw this video. In the past I had a couple - one with a thick spacer and one with a thin spacer. Showing this was worth the price of admission and popcorn right there. 

As far as the other observations - Keith is a decent guy but personally I'd rank him way better than "decent". We've spent a little time BSing with him in his shop. He did do video this to help people out. It's not like he's making money off people screwing scrap leather to a bench. On the ribbons and awards comment - feel free to add one more. This weekend he got an arts award from the state of Wyoming. 

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Well if I got anything from this video it was following the comments to see this ↑↑. I think I like ruler and clamp just on the fact that I can put it away, I don't like clutter and that thing screwed to the table in the video would drive me crazy. Also I feel like I could slip and mess up a strap using the method in the video.

3 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Bikermutt, Thank you for posting this!.This is obviously not a new concept and another way to hold straps. This is a fairly common shop hack that's been around probably for decades. The problem is a lot of leather workers haven't "been around" that long, and if not for the internet don't visit many shops. I hadn't seen the second piece tip before I saw this video. In the past I had a couple - one with a thick spacer and one with a thin spacer. Showing this was worth the price of admission and popcorn right there. 

As far as the other observations - Keith is a decent guy but personally I'd rank him way better than "decent". We've spent a little time BSing with him in his shop. He did do video this to help people out. It's not like he's making money off people screwing scrap leather to a bench. On the ribbons and awards comment - feel free to add one more. This weekend he got an arts award from the state of Wyoming. 

Thanks Bruce, glad I could play a small part in a real leathercrafter learning something new. 

And, it didn't cost a cent. Awesome.

Edited by bikermutt07

I suppose I should make something fit for purpose rather than cobbling together a stright piece of MDF, supported by the blocks on a Black & Decker workmate thingy, or using a the side of a block of granite for short straps

Thanks for posting, watched the video and thought it was great.  I will make one for my table.

I think I will make one of these for my workshop, but I will mount it to a piece of timber with a leg attached below. That way, I can hold it in my vice, rather than cluttering up my workbench with fixed tools or jigs.

4 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I think I will make one of these for my workshop, but I will mount it to a piece of timber with a leg attached below. That way, I can hold it in my vice, rather than cluttering up my workbench with fixed tools or jigs.

That's a good idea. I have been pondering a docking station to use with all the different presses and such. Then just pull out the one I need at that time. 

@bikermutt07 I found it, I forgot it, I lost it, and then found it again. ... Welcome to Senior Moments!   ... And thanks for posting this!

17 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I was thinking the same thing.  As a saddlemaker of some renown, Seidel probably has need of a tool like this on a daily basis, so it would make sense for him to have some bench space permanently devoted to is.  For most of the rest of us, some sort of temporary setup makes more sense.  I was thinking a piece of wood or plastic with the jig mounted to it then clamped to the table, but I like your idea of using a vice mounted jig even better.  

Sometimes, the simple ideas are the best ones ... You know, the ones that you see and then think to yourself "Why didn't I think of that?".  And that is especially true when it's something as easy to make as this!  I've tried different methods for this problem, with the best being a dowel to run the leather against, and holding it down with the same hand holding the tool holds it down which worked OK, but eventually got uncomfortable and let the leather ride up sometimes.   I'll be making something like this for sure!

- Bill

Yep me too !

I think it was a good, decent thing in trying to show others a nice easy way to handle this task. Thanx Pete.

I too will be making one for myself !

Leather and a few  screws ? I think I might screw to a 2x6 board with a leg and on a hinge under my bench, always @ the  ready