luxuryluke

Found Pfaff parts for a gold 1245 machine

Okay, sort of a short lead up. I’m new here. 

I’ve been looking for a used walking foot sewing machine (I know, join the club, apparently) that will work for a newbie. 

I think I’m looking for a machine for light to medium duty leather work for bags, and small goods in vegan and chrome tan leather. But I don’t think I’m ready to go whole hog and get a new $2-4,000 machine. 

Live been looking at both flatbed and cylinder arm machines such as the conservative and Juki types but I think I’d like to start on a used machine such as the Pfaff flatbed 1245, 545, or the cylinder 335. 

0A737253-B29C-4B3E-ABC4-EC121AD603FB.jpeg.a4ed717905b09f40310dbcd3afe2f2cf.jpeg

So I finally found one available for around $1000 but I think it’s missing a grease housing cover in the craigslist photos so I ended up finding a machine diagram, then a parts list, and then a website that has parts for a reasonable price. Impressive. Check out my findings for a 1245 grease housing front and back:

Diagram list::

https://www.universalsewing.com/tek9.asp?pg=parts_pfaff#expanded scroll down to 1245

then the actual diagram:

https://www.universalsewing.com/images2/parts_lists/all/6mdl64b0.pdf

Go to page 16 to see the housing that surrounds the transfer gears that power the bobbin. Part numbers

91-141 546-05

and

91-141 545-05

ED183EE5-5561-4DAE-89EC-ED4213BC3828.thumb.jpeg.6bc06fc6093e09015445bdcdcb9a1bbe.jpeg

So so I go searching and I find a site that apparently sells these two pieces for under a dollar. 

https://www.strima.com/pfaff/cat/pg-484/st-0/k-2002309/

Sure. Great find. But knowing I can replace many of these parts at all is a boon on a machine that’s likely as old as I am! I’m impressed with myself and that got me the nerve to post on this here forum in hopes it helps someone else, too. 

Cheers! Also, if you have additional tips for this noob I’m all ears. This forum is fantastic. 

Edited by luxuryluke
Images were broken or too large, again to use the correct part names

17 minutes ago, luxuryluke said:

So so I go searching and I find a site that apparently sells these two pieces for under a dollar. 

https://www.strima.com/pfaff/cat/pg-484/st-0/k-2002309/

Are you aware that Strima is in Poland and that shipping may be expensive to the USA? You may have to meet a minimum price in the cart to order overseas and outside the EU.

5 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Are you aware that Strima is in Poland and that shipping may be expensive to the USA? You may have to meet a minimum price in the cart to order overseas and outside the EU.

Ugh. Welp. Hmm. 

Your articles and knowledge are very helpful, Wiz. I think the actual availability of these parts is the solution-breaking part. Sew sad. 

Edited by luxuryluke

3 minutes ago, luxuryluke said:

Ugh. Welp. Hmm. 

Some Pfaff parts are very expensive over here. Others not so much. There are Pfaff dealers in the USA who can probably get prices for you on those parts.

Thanks, Wiz. 

Its a constant risk assessment decision, isn’t it? Budget vs dreams!

It will not hurt running the machine w/o the cover - machines like Singer 111 or Dürkopp 239 have open gears to - that's not an issue at all. Personably I think open gears are even easier to service. Grease filled gear boxed in the hook area can be a "magnet" for lint, thread pieces or broken needle tips - not necessarily but I have found this stuff in gear boxes.

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

It will not hurt running the machine w/o the cover…

Thanks for the tip, @Constabulary  id not considered that possibility. Thanks!

12 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Some Pfaff parts are very expensive over here.

Newer model 335 bobbin case is $110. Not the hook mind you, just the weird shaped bobbin case. I typically keep more than one case on hand so I can adjust each for different thread weights/tensions. On this machine it's not worth it.

8 hours ago, Constabulary said:

It will not hurt running the machine w/o the cover - machines like Singer 111 or Dürkopp 239 have open gears to - that's not an issue at all.

Yeah doesn't look like a sealed cover or reservoir, just more of a "keep your fingers out" and "keep grease from flying everywhere" type of part.

40 minutes ago, dikman said:

If you run a servo and use slow speeds then grease flinging shouldn't be a problem.

agree - I´d use a sticky synthetic chain lube on the open gears & gear boxes. I quit filling gear boxes with grease I only clean them and spray in sticky chain lube from time to time. No issues and seems some gears run a bit more silent with this stuff. It just works for me - everyone has his own "magic recipe" for lube & grease ;)

I am new to all of this as well.  I recently found a Pfaff 1245 on Craigs List.  The grease housing was missing also.  I cleaned up the machine, readjusted everything, and mounted it in a 3' X 6' table.  I just use an acid brush and apply grease to the gears often.  Seems to be working out just fine.  

My machine came with a 3400 rpm clutch motor.  Way to fast for me.  I made my own speed reducer, and slowed the motor way down.  I think that if I keep the gears greased it will be fine.  So far I am really happy with the Pfaff.  I am now trying to figure out, needle/thread and tension combos.