Guest Carrie

bag making question!

Guest Carrie

Hi! My name is Carrie and I have been playing around with making my own bags because I couldn't afford the ones I wanted to buy so I decided to try to make my own! I am IN LOVE with working with leather and am learning so much (mostly by trial and error). I like unlined leather feel and look for the inside of the bags, but am missing having a pocket. I like having the outside look clean without any stitches (I use a sewing machine to sew my leather). I'm stumped and thinking there is not a way to accomplish the look I want. Any suggestions? Also, any recommendations on where to order unique rivets? I want to expand my rivet collection! Thank you in advance! 

Shine on!

Carrie

Carrie,

Make Big full width pockets, actually more of a lining with an open top.  If you want more, sew them to that pocket. All the stitching for the liner pocket would be in the seams.

Art

Art has the easiest solution. The other option that comes to mind is to attach one using the handle/strap stitching or from the top by running a stitch line around the top edge. Look forward to seeing your work.

I attach mine to the handles. This one is riveted but sewing can be done just the same. 

1CC9619B-20D8-4240-8C09-90E6D5A19777.jpeg

Use a separator and attach the pockets to the separator. Believe it or not the easiest way I have found is to use a double gusset and so the separator in between the gussets.

You have gotten some great advice, pretty much the ways I was going to describe.  Try Springfield Leather for rivets, decorative and otherwise.  They stock a large variety.  They also are a great resource if you are into making jewelry.  They will also provide a catalog if you like hard copies of stuff.  Some of us still do!

By doing turned-out bags and using fasteners such as rivets, you can accomplish a lot without showing stitches.  Glues are also effective, depending upon what you are doing.  Good luck!