Sign in to follow this  
Sturmtrupp702

Antique C.S. Osborne draw gauge

I just bought an antique C.S. Osborne draw gauge that needs a new blade. Will the blade for the new 5 1/2" draw guage fit? Its #51-1/2B 

20190210_235459.jpg

20190210_235437.jpg

20190210_235422.jpg

20190210_235405.jpg

Blades for these metal draw gauges are pretty much universal, and fairly inexpensive at about $10 from C.S. Osborne.  I have a Civil War era Sauerbier draw gauge, and bought a CSO replacement that fits perfectly.  It will need some sharpening, and I suggest rounding off the end of the blade a bit for safety.  Alternatively, Terry Kinpschield offers a blade for $45 that will arrive razor sharp.

- Bill

I purchashed an original Osborne blade. It is too thick. Then I purchashed the same blade tuned up by Bruce Johnson.

A world of difference. Rounded off tip for safety, thinned down and beveled correctly which produces a nice cut. However, I guess I should have known better than teaching myself how to use a draw blade on a side of 12-14 ounce skirting.

Lessons Learned. Go big or go home...and always keep on learning. Fixing my mistakes is quite an educational experience.

Joe